Speedometer cable length?

TampaRiv

Hi gents.   I need to replace my speedo cable, but I see there are varying lengths available.  Can anyone tell me the length of the cable that is for my '63 Riviera?     

I had the car in the shop for a brake bleed a while back, so I asked the mechanic if he could test the speedometer.   He disconnected the cable at the transmission, and spun the cable with a drill, but there was no readout at the speedometer head.    I subsequently removed the head, and spun it with  drill, and it works just fine.

SO, I am assuming that the cable has broken somewhere between the tranny and the speedometer head.  But I don't know which cable is correct and how long it should be.    ALSO, are there any special tricks to removing/re-installing the cable, besides being young and agile and having cartilege?  I call this kind of operation "car yoga" because of all the weird positions you need to assume to do it!

Thanks guys,

Rich in Tampa

11 hours ago, Turbinator said:

My experience with new direct fit speedo cables for my 63 was not good. All were a direct fit, but  required you to to cut the cable to length.  Ended up getting the speedo cable from a donor parts car. The used cable fit perfect. 

You didn't happen to measure it before you installed it, did you? 

59 minutes ago, RivNut said:

You didn't happen to measure it before you installed it, did you? 

Ed, it has been such a time since I probably did after it didn’t fit the first time. I had problems with the Speedo drive gear part as well. So, after a number of tries with “ direct fit “based

on a 63 Riv from specified by the supplier I gave up. Got a used speedo cable and the oil quit squirting up through the cable on my shoes. An instrument was made to calibrate the Speedo and was placed between the cable and the drive gear. The Speedo seems to be right on when clocked with an app on my phone. I’ve found more than one aftermarket part not measuring up. Pun intended. I bought a fan shroud that had to be fitted and drilled to bolt up. Maybe it has always been this way I’m really new, but I persist.

Ed, what about the cable that CARS in NJ sells?  I see that OPG does not vend a cable (surprisingly), but I don't know where else to buy one.  I'd call Jim Kehr, but he always seems so busy.  I guess the simple answer is to remove the old cable and see how long it is. 

Tampa Riv, I do not like giving a supplier less than a 3 star rating. I buy stuff from Cars LLC and some of the time I do very good with stuff like decals. I bought the speedo cable from them and it was the wrong size. Let’s say I ordered the wrong one. Then I ordered another wrong one from another supplier again. So, I ordered two wrong cables or they don’t come cut to length. The one from the junk yard fit. Your idea is stellar, pull yours and measure.call the supplier and verify length, that is what I should have done. I’m of the belief the length has to be spot on. Don’t know why, but that is my painfully described  experience.

Turbinator

If your old cable is not broke don’t replace it. Just replace the sleeve. Most of the time the ID of the sleeve gets worn and the cable is fine.

Some new cables are junk as they twist and give inaccurate readings.

Also a Speedo repair shop owner told me to only use bearing grease for lube.

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

I am a firm believer of the Kendall Super Blue Grease. It holds it's consistency for years & years & doesn't break down or lose ANY of it's qualities. It's NOT thick like wheel bearing grease & contains NO Graphite so it can ALSO be used on Model T's & speedo cables.  If you pack your wheel bearings with it 10 years from now when you take the wheel bearings out to check them this grease will be the same as the day you greased the bearings originally.

It's not that awful expensive either.

Some I've told to use this grease please chime in & relate your experiences.

Tom T.

• Like 1

Well, this is the problem PWB.  The speedo head works fine.  But the cable, when disconnected at the transmission and spun with a drill, does not turn and cause the speedo to register.  Then, as I mentioned, I disconnected the speedo head, jacked up the back end of the car, and ran the car in gear as I observed the speedo cable in front of me, and it didn't turn.  This is telling me the cable is broken internally.

9 hours ago, telriv said:

I am a firm believer of the Kendall Super Blue Grease. It holds it's consistency for years & years & doesn't break down or lose ANY of it's qualities. It's NOT thick like wheel bearing grease & contains NO Graphite so it can ALSO be used on Model T's & speedo cables.  If you pack your wheel bearings with it 10 years from now when you take the wheel bearings out to check them this grease will be the same as the day you greased the bearings originally.

It's not that awful expensive either.

Some I've told to use this grease please chime in & relate your experiences.

Tom T.

Tom T,

I use Kendall Super Blue Grease and it works for me.

Turbinator