Mid to late '30's horn button

On 11/28/2020 at 8:52 PM, studerex said:

I have those rubber horn button retainers.  I bought the Shrock brothers inventory and molds.  Better than a piece of paper.

Studerex - are you going to manufacture any of the rubber parts?  I am in need of hood corners and a few other pieces for my 31.

2 hours ago, Tom Devoe said:

Studerex - are you going to manufacture any of the rubber parts?  I am in need of hood corners and a few other pieces for my 31.

Yes, just now starting to get things in order.  Over a 1000 molds.  Some inventory already made in stock.  Rubber first then plastic and then steering wheels.  http://www.shrockbrothers.com/studebaker_reproduction_parts.html  for list of items. 

Edited by studerex (see edit history)

On 11/28/2020 at 2:57 PM, SC38DLS said:

This is my horn button on my 38 State Commander. The paper is my temporary raffle stop!  

B5A6191C-9DD8-4DAC-8AF5-395727802126.jpeg

2EE71AFC-B280-42A8-A51A-97620464D44B.jpeg

Dave See attached photos of what is needed to hold your horn button in place.  I do not have enough (3 pieces) but will be making more.  

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

002.jpg

9 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

Studerex. I checked your site and could not find the horn button retainers you talked about. Am I just missing them or are they not listed?  
dave s 

There were many parts that Tom and Dave made that were not their web site.  They are good guys that would make a part when asked but never put it on the website.  I am still going through they molds and am shocked at what they made with limited application, like floor steering column plates for right hand drive. 

I don’t envy your task. I do know if you have the rear vent window rubber on a 38 you will sell very quickly. Mine had to be the last two in existence as I’ve been asked multiple times where we got them. Unfortunately they don’t have any more. 
Let me know when you get to the horn retainer, I thought it was just an O ring that fit. Not a high priority as the paper works and I’ve still got a long list I’m working on. 
Thanks

dave s 

apologies for hijacking this thread....

+1 on the rear quarter vent window rubber seals for the '38 /'39!  however, I did talk to Shrock Bros about these a couple of years ago and they did not have them....I even asked if they would like to use mine as a pattern to make the molds and the reply was they were trying to downsize.  They are good folks and we talked for while...he said if I ever catch up with him in Carlisle he would give me pointers on making a mold and casting the rubber.   I feel fairly confident in making a mold, its the shrinkage of the old rubber (outside lip)  and the cracks that would need to be filled in order to have a good pattern to go by.   And you would have to pour a mold twice since the left and right sides are different...doubling the cost.   I almost believe I would have to cast a hard plastic seal (using the old seals as the pattern) so that I can do "bodywork" on it (adding material and filling in cracks, sanding smooth, etc)....then this would become the new pattern.  Another thought would be to 3D scan the old seals and then add material to them in the cad software and 3D print the pattern.   I already know the Ford seals might can be used, but their outer lip does not lay flat against the body.  Sealer would have to be applied under the lip to seal it.

ideas/ comments appreciated...thanks 

almost forgot....

SC38DLS...can you post pics of your button assembly as it is going back together?  My button is deteriorated and half missing, I may eventually get another one.  It appears the button is supposed to be pushed in and turned to lock in but I cannot be sure this is how it is.  Also, I might have another part missing as I cannot tell if a spring keeps the button raised, nor can I tell where the wire is connected.   any pics you can provide would be appreciated.  hopefully your 38 is about the same as the '39, mine is the phantom wheel similar to yours. 

thanks

Fh4ever. I’ll be happy to take pics and post. Please know I have a few other things to finish before that happens. Also I’m not going to do it until the retainer is available. 
The 38 and 39 should be almost identical, mine works fine but just makes an annoying noise as I go down the road. The 38 is my daily driver around town. 
dave s 

On 11/30/2020 at 12:32 PM, Tom Devoe said:

Tom, I have those 31 hood corners for 31 commander and president.  Mesange me if you want them.

hood cornors 31 003.jpg

• Like 1