!939 Pontiac spark plug wire pic? Anybody got a goo done? I need the 6 wirer clip?

ng8264723

It's actually a 7 wire clip (whether it needs to be or not). I suspect it may have been an Oldsmobile part first, but if so, they didn't stick with it like Pontiac did. I would ask Kurt Kelsey (shoot a PM to KornKurt here on the forum) and see if he has anything.

I made one for my 36. I don't recommend it if you can find one to buy, but at the time I couldn't.

https://imgur.com/a/1DT42

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

SparkPlugBracket.thumb.JPG.2dadd7f34df25e649adebe2745ae5836.JPG

Here is a picture of the 7-hole spark plug wire clip from my 1937 Pontiac 6.

I've just applied some Liquid Wrench to see if I can get it taken off to make some careful measurements of the dimensions, if that helps.  Note: in 1937, at least, there is also a second bracket that bolts to the head that helps route the seventh wire to the coil.  I don't know if that was used in 1939 or not.

This is taken from the driver's side so the firewall and coil are to the right of the image.

Let me know if any of this helps.

John

Edited by jdshott
Origina image was upside down ... (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here is a close up of my 1937 6-cylinder spark plug bracket.  Each half is identical.  I would guess that it is cast phenolic ... but don't know for sure.  The total length (based on my cheap calipers) is about 3.95", the length along the spark plug cavities is 1.00", the maximum thickness is about 0.50" and tapers slightly.  The diameter of each spark plug "hole" is about 0.28".  And, as you can see, the hole for the wire that comes from the coil is actually curved.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further information.

John

SparkPlugBracket_CloseUp.thumb.JPG.05d3c4b787443e1df1bcfc151d69aaba.JPG

There are several versions of that piece apparently.

Interesting that it is phenolic. When I made the one I made, I was working from pixellated blowups of engine compartment photos. I extrapolated the size on the assumption the wires were 7mm. That worked ok. I had to guess whether it was phenolic or hard rubber. I guessed phenolic and made my replica look like phenolic. When I got to the Flathead Pontiac Reunion and saw some real ones, they looked like hard rubber, and they were not all exactly the same shape or color.

The curved slot for the coil wire is an interesting detail, and one I got wrong.

7xZZeaU.jpg

Well, it may b e a hard rubber material. I guessed phenolic based on the era ... but I'm not sure ... and a hard rubber seems equally likely and I see no shine on the surface.  It is definitely a matte finish.  And 7 mm (0.2756") is very close to what I measured as 0.28", so you were probably exactly correct in that assessment.

You clearly did a very nice job based on a low-quality photo.

While mine is not perfect, I believe it to be original and if you or anyone else with casting skills wanted to borrow mine to make a mold, I would be happy to loan it out.

Happy Holidays to all!

John

• Like 1