Lock cylinder and push button start

PSHAW

Hi all, I have a 52 Super estate wagon.  With the key, the lock cylinder is needing to be jiggled a number of times to where it will make contact so the start button will work.  The only lock cylinders I can find have a 1" face diameter where my car needs a 1 1/2" face.  I'm thinking of just switching out to an updated cylinder and housing bypassing the start button.  Anyone know of which one will work?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rog

Isn't the lock cylinder a removable part of the switch assembly? It is on later GM cars. Usually taking the switch apart (not the lock cylinder) cleaning out the dried grease and polishing the contacts will restore operation. In case of severely worn contacts, not so much.

Thanks guys for responding.  I tried Bob's and they sent a lock cylinder that was too small of a face diameter, only 1".  Apparently, the 52 Super estate wagon is different.  Bob's said that's all they had.  I'll try what Mr. DuVal suggested.  Just in case, do any of you know of any other Buick parts dealers?

Thanks, Rog

• 2 weeks later...

Check out my thread in September in this forum entitled “1950 cranking trouble”.

I had a different kind of starting trouble that was resolved through this forum.  Your car should start by pressing the accelerator all the way to the floor, and not by a button.  Mine was acting up in a different way.  Back in the day, a lot of people drilled holes in perfectly good dashes and installed starter buttons, when instead, had they just cleaned the starter switch on the carb, it could have worked.    
My fifty special now works fine, as does my forty century.  I had two other forties, where someone drilled a hole under the dash, and one right through the face of the dash installing a button, thereby ruining it.  Wish they had fixed it right the first time.  

Yours should start by pressing the pedal all they way to the floor, and not with a button.  Sounds like you have a nice car.  If it’s a woodie, I’m sure you’ll want it right.

ps if you need parts, CARS is good, Bob’s is good, also the Buick Barn in Delaware, and there is somebody named Dave Tacheny (or close to that) that I see referred to on these forums but I don’t know a thing about him.  Be sure and refer to the BCA’s  Buick Bugle for vendors.

• Like 1