Seeking a Speedometer for a 1916 Dodge Brothers Touring Car

Emmitt Todd

Hello all!

My father has spent the last year or so restoring his father's 1916 DB Touring Car. He recently asked me if I could use the power of the internet to find a speedometer and cable assembly, specifically one that hooks to the transmission (not the left front wheel). Could any of you direct me to where I could find these parts? Thank you very much.

19 hours ago, Emmitt Todd said:

Hello all!

My father has spent the last year or so restoring his father's 1916 DB Touring Car. He recently asked me if I could use the power of the internet to find a speedometer and cable assembly, specifically one that hooks to the transmission (not the left front wheel). Could any of you direct me to where I could find these parts? Thank you very much.

There is always quite a few Speedo’s on eBay for sale. I know at the moment I’ve seen a few of the early 20’s on there. Do a good search every few days and you never know one might pop up. Have a look at this Thread might give us an idea of what to look for  

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

In a quick look at the engineering changes list there are at least 3 different speedometers available for the 1916 DB. You would have to use the serial number and hole in the dash to determine what was there before. The engineering changes list is available from the DB club store. 1916 was probably the most changed DB ever, there were four different owner's manuals. They were required by all the changes for the year. You want the manual printed closest BEFORE your car was built. 

• Like 2

I am fairly sure you need the white faced Johns Manville with the special cover.

F8F2F64B-2E5A-43CF-9EB7-76D4E08EBB84.thumb.jpeg.b2a892fa3f80e2e1628c6ca9368cb3db.jpeg

They do come up on ebay from time to time but not cheap and not plentiful.

the dashboard will have an extra cut out for the trip wheel, if it is a slot then what you see in the photo is all you need.

if it has an ear cut out of the circle’s circumference on the right hand side then you will also need the cover trim / bezel.

3D70BF1C-7029-4D53-BFDD-1687C5DBE5B7.thumb.jpeg.fe14d4571c29f680e9c1449b9683856b.jpeg

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks Mark. I forwarded my dad the ebay listing.

He text me today with the car's vin number. He's now saying he's been told the car might possibly be a 1923.

Trouble is... the "VIN" number he provided looks odd. Not matching any info I'm seeing on DB production date listings. He's saying the VIN is "S5986COLO". That look right to you guys?

Edited by Emmitt Todd (see edit history)

That number looks like a state assigned number. The car didn't by any chance come out of Colorado? The serial number for Dodges would be on the crossmember behind the transmission, right side top under the floor board. From what I understand, the engine number would not match the serial number if that is what he's looking at. The glove box was dropped sometime around 1918 as were the wood tops on the doors also. You might also post on the Facebook Dodge pages;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DodgeBrothersMotorCars/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dodgebros

I have only been working with early Dodges for about 6 months so am still learning. If this were a Model T questions, been around them for many years and have lots of reference material to work with. 

• Like 1

There are too many things that say it is not a '23, windshield, doors and dash in the picture. Does it have a magneto or Delco distributor. That would help narrow it down. Maybe a picture of the right side of the engine?  The S number sounds like the body number on the firewall. Has no bearing on what year it is. The number you want on the cross member where the passenger's heals would be. It is stamped real light in number about 3/8 inch high, COULD start with CARXXXXX.

Edited by nearchoclatetown (see edit history)
  • Like 1

@nearchocolatetown - I'll ask if he knows if it's a magneto or Delco distributor. I don't know if he'll know off hand.

He was supposed to get it back Thursday this week, but I guess there was an issue with the timing, so they're looking into that now. When he get's it back in his own garage, I'll be sure to look for those stamped serial numbers and get some updated pictures.

Edited by Emmitt Todd (see edit history)

• 1 month later...