Marvel carburetor

Stamm

It has been removed and plugged. Odd thing is, I can run the car in the garage from idle to 45 mph (per rpm), and it is not too bad, slight miss, but when I take it on the road, it immediately goes bad and I am not sure I will get back. Have put my timing lite on each plug wire to view firing and none miss a beat, so I’m sure it is not elec. your thoughts?

jim

As the car was running well before you replaced the float.  Sounds like the new float is working too well and restricting  flow of fuel at the higher rev,s.  Allowing enough fuel at the lower rev,s but not enough when your out on the road

There is no tube. It is plugged at both ends. The car ran fine until  I replaced the float. Took the carb apart again to make sure all 6 jets are open. Checked plug firing again with my timing lite and found that 3&8 are. Not firing consistently. Question the plug wires although they look new. They are however carbon fiber. Ordered a new set of copper ones .should get them mon or tues and will see if it makes any diff.

2 hours ago, Rod Wise said:

As the car was running well before you replaced the float.  Sounds like the new float is working too well and restricting  flow of fuel at the higher rev,s.  Allowing enough fuel at the lower rev,s but not enough when your out on the road

Can run it at high rpm in the garage and it does not run out of fuel

Good thought. The modification was done when I bought the car, so never checked. I had it repaired on the last 32 I restored a few years back, as it was bad. I know it can be a problem. Will check it out, thanks.

If the heat riser tubes are leaking, the area around the center tubes acts like a vacuum tank and does not allow responsiveness to needed vacuum changes as the throttle goes through any changes. On Marvel carbs, the jets are affected by vacuum changes.  

Bob Engle

One positive thing about this adventure, I have become extremely efficient at removing a carb! The tubes have been replaced and look like new. I somehow have to determine ,for sure, is it carb or elec. the timing lite on each plug wire at one time indicated they were all firing perfect. The next time i did it, no 3 was not consistent, and 8 wasn’t firing at all. Changed plugs with the same result. So thought maybe it was the carbon fiber wires and ordered new copper ones. Waiting.  remember it ran ok for the last 3 years, until I changed the float. It misses and runs poorly at all rpm’s, so I am thinking elec?. The dist cap looks new. Thanks for all the advice

jim

Hi Stamm,  

Great advice given so far, have you taken off the float bowl cover to see exactly where the fuel level is? is your float arm straight, have you examined the rubber on your metering pin? is your float binding against the bowl wall? does it run with the float cover off? sometimes the cover may bind the float arm if its set too high.  have you checked the fuel intake screen? glass bead it if you havent done so. If it ran fine and the only thats changed is a different float, then dont mess with ignition timing, have you checked your fuel source, electric/mechanical pump output? will it run with choke pulled? I scribed a line like Bob recommended  and was very accurate to spec factory setting on my series 90/ fuel level and float level are 2 different things.  As for ignition, I dumped the points and installed the petronix electronic, works great. I have broken the code on how to make a marvel run as originally installed, took awhile!!!

PM me if I can be of more help. 

Well, this situation gets more interesting as I keep checking. Got the new copper plug wires and installed them. No improvement! But as I put my timing lite on each plug wire to check firing, I again notice 3 is not steady and 8 not at all, as before? As I am fussing with the wires I notice sometimes 8 will fire. As I keep fussing around I find that if I push on the dist towards the block, it fires just fine. There must be something wrong in the dist. Take off the cap for a closer inspection, see nothing wrong. However i notice that the points rub has stopped EXACTLY ON A HIGH POINT. something sometimes difficult to get to happen. So I thought since I have the perfect opportunity, why not check the points. They were a sloppy 20. Tightened them up to a tight 20. Seeing  nothing wrong, I put the cap back on and started the car. All plugs now firing perfect, and when pushing on the dist, it makes no difference. Conclusion- the small amount of wear in the shaft allowed me to push the points closer so they were able to close and allow the coil to function. Wires 3 & 8 are on the side of the cap away from the block, so this made since to me. As luck would have it, I was the victim of a perfect storm. That happened at the same time the float failed. So now I have new plugs, wires and coil, that I didn’t need.

Anyway, it now runs much better, not too bad up to about 40, then it hesitates some. Pulling out the choke helps some. Will keep playing with the carb adjustment. FYI, it is a 50 series cabriolet. With the right carb, it ought to run as good as my 8 cyl packards. Smooth. If I have to flip the intake for a down draft, anybody with any experience doing this? What carb did you use to facilitate hooking up the linkage? 
my thanks to all who tried to help

jim

Jim, 

Glad that you found the major part of the problem.  Also consider looking for stray sparks at night around your plug wires.  Your Marvel is similar to my 1925 model so consider looking at the condition of the air valve and the venturi operation in the carburetor.  I also ran into issues with a little rust or trash that got into the air valve piston and was keeping the air valve from moving.   Attached is a link.     Hugh

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/322950-1927-buick-carb-removal/