1938 Imperial Manifold

kings32

I don't have the part right now it is a welding shop , they are trying to weld . Having trouble with what kind one metal it is ,they don't think it is cast iron .  king32

You can't weld those old manifolds 90 percent of the time. It is cast iron. If they can't figure that out, they won't be able to fix it...........sounds like they don't know what they are doing. They are having problems because the carbon is too low in the mixture. If they get it to weld, it will just crack again anyways. Unless you heat a block and manifold( so they stay straight and don't twist.) at the same time to 1200 degrees, it won't stress relieve. Even then, when done, it will probably warp so bad that you won't be able to get it machined and mounted. I would guess that only one in five has a chance of taking a repair.....and then, only if it is done right. 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2020 at 10:10 AM, kings32 said:

These guys know what they are doing some people are so negative.Kings32

I have fifty years of dealing with pre war cars.......and your guy  can’t identify what metal the manifold is?And I’m negative? You ask for help, and get an opinion, which by the way is correct. Cast a new one.......I have made much more difficult castings than a Chrysler 8 manifold, and sold them. We could discuss thermal expansion, material issues, stress relief, shrinkage in castings, and a bunch of other things.......but it wouldn’t be productive. 

“These guys know what they are doing.” That is certainly NOT an accurate statement. I wish you good luck and the best with your project.

• Like 2

Chrysler "8" manifolds don't weld repair. As said already.

I've seen and heard of several failures.

I only replace then with good used.

Even then there are a few things to do before installing a used manifold on one of these engines.

Long engines require the manifolds to be able to "creep".