Outage on the website www.aaca.org

It's human nature to dislike change and probably more so on this forum - just look at the cars we like!  🤣  But technology change, usually for the better, is inevitable and users have to keep up.  It can be a PITA until one gets around the learning curve but then it becomes second nature.  All that said, I do have a couple issues with the new format.

1.  If I click on the AACA logo or the AACA Home tab at the top of the page, I get:

Error code 20

The proxy failed to connect to the web server, due to TCP connection timeout.

I get the same if I type AACA.org in the browser address box or click on it in a Google search result.  Dunno if the problem is on my end or the forum's but the other tabs seem to work OK.

2.  I figured out how to edit a post but I don't see a way to delete it - is there one?

FYI, I use Firefox under Windows 10 on a laptop (too resistant to change to use a phone or tablet 😉).

1 hour ago, CHuDWah said:

1.  If I click on the AACA logo or the AACA Home tab at the top of the page, I get:

Error code 20

I get the same if I type AACA.org in the browser address box or click on it in a Google search result.  Dunno if the problem is on my end or the forum's but the other tabs seem to work OK.

2.  I figured out how to edit a post but I don't see a way to delete it - is there one?

1. I use Firefox and as of 3:50 PM I get the same error message when trying to access the aaca.org website. Give it some time and this problem might correct it's self. @Peter Gariepy may need to look into fixing it if the problem persists.

2. The option to delete posts is no longer available to forum members. You should be able to "Hide" a post by clicking on the three dots at the top-right of your posts.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

It's human nature to dislike change and probably more so on this forum - just look at the cars we like!  🤣  But technology change, usually for the better, is inevitable and users have to keep up.  It can be a PITA until one gets around the learning curve but then it becomes second nature.  All that said, I do have a couple issues with the new format.

Error code 20

FYI, I use Firefox under Windows 10 on a laptop (too resistant to change to use a phone or tablet 😉).

Try a different browser?  Same problem?

I don't think this has anything to do with the forum. I have had problems accessing the main AACA.org page off and on for the past few days. I get the same error on both my laptop and my cell phone. I had guessed this was related to the recent server move and figured it would be resolved in the near future so I had not mentioned it to anyone.   

59 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Try a different browser?  Same problem?

Yep, same problem with Internet Explorer.  If I enter aaca.org in address box or click it in Google search result, I get the Error code 20.  If I enter or click forums.aaca.org, it works but clicking the AACA Home tab gets the error - clicking the logo does nothing.  I tried signed in to forum and not, and get the error both ways.  Same with Firefox - I even tried turning off private browsing but still no joy.

FYI, I have Firefox, IE, and Windows all up-to-date.

3 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Forums.aaca.org being updated is the subject of this thread.

The issues being discussed is an outage on the website www.aaca.org

Two sites. two different subjects.  Start a new topic for each issue.

My post you quoted was a reply to Matt Harwood's post of a graphic I don't know how to interpret in the context of this thread.

As to my other posts in the thread, apologies.  I thought they were relevant as constructive feedback re the OP since the problem seems to have started coincident with the update.  That seemed a reasonable assumption given that the aaca.org link within forums.aaca.org doesn't work.  Frankly, I didn't realize they're apparently unrelated.  I'll start a new thread if I have further comments.

1 hour ago, CHuDWah said:

Huh?

It's just joking that Internet Explorer is woefully inadequate these days, although I'm consistently displeased by how much RAM both Firefox and Chrome consume while in use. Even Microsoft isn't supporting IE anymore so I'm guessing that the software that runs this site will have an increasingly difficult time working with IE. It's been obsolete for a long time.

It wasn't an insult or a joke at your expense or anything like that, just a humorous way to show that IE is notably inferior today and Chrome and Firefox will continue to duke it out to become the standard-bearer.

2 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

My post you quoted was a reply to Matt Harwood's post of a graphic I don't know how to interpret in the context of this thread.

As to my other posts in the thread, apologies.  I thought they were relevant as constructive feedback re the OP since the problem seems to have started coincident with the update.  That seemed a reasonable assumption given that the aaca.org link within forums.aaca.org doesn't work.  Frankly, I didn't realize they're apparently unrelated.  I'll start a new thread if I have further comments.

Appreciate your feedback. Just easier for me to manage issues when they are in logical junks.  Lots of subjects go off topic, and people wonder why they never get a response.  When i doubt, start a new topic.

I still keep getting the Error Code 20 thing. I have tried three different devices and three different browsers. All devices are relatively new and all the browsers are up to date versions. The only way I can get to the AACA Forum is to do a google search of Antique Automobile Club of America and click on the Forum subheading. This is the only website I get the Error Code 20 thing and have never seen this until this week while trying to get on this website. 

When it comes to prewar cars, I am a good mechanic and can figure problems out and fix things.

When it comes to computers and technology, I am a good prewar car mechanic.

Thanks to everyone who keeps this website going. I know it is a lot of thankless work, but it is appreciated by all of us. 

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, motoringicons said:

I still keep getting the Error Code 20 thing. I have tried three different devices and three different browsers. All devices are relatively new and all the browsers are up to date versions. The only way I can get to the AACA Forum is to do a google search of Antique Automobile Club of America and click on the Forum subheading. This is the only website I get the Error Code 20 thing and have never seen this until this week while trying to get on this website. 

When it comes to prewar cars, I am a good mechanic and can figure problems out and fix things.

When it comes to computers and technology, I am a good prewar car mechanic.

Thanks to everyone who keeps this website going. I know it is a lot of thankless work, but it is appreciated by all of us. 

There are a number of ways to get to this forum...

1. Search for it via a search engine (Like Google) and then click the link.
  2. Goto the AACA home page, then click the "forum" link.
  3. Enter https://forums.aaca.org in your browser address bar
  4. Click a previously saved bookmark.  NOTE: if the bookmark is "old" or "out of date" you can get an error. DELETE the bookmark, goto https:/forums.aaca.org and create the bookmark again.

MotoringIcons = sounds like you are doing step 4.  See the note to fix the problem.

3 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

There are a number of ways to get to this forum...

1. Search for it via a search engine (Like Google) and then click the link.
  2. Goto the AACA home page, then click the "forum" link.
  3. Enter https://forums.aaca.org in your browser address bar
  4. Click a previously saved bookmark.  NOTE: if the bookmark is "old" or "out of date" you can get an error. DELETE the bookmark, goto https:/forums.aaca.org and create the bookmark again.

MotoringIcons = sounds like you are doing step 4.  See the note to fix the problem.

Just some more feedback - I use method 2 and that was giving the error code 20.  All four methods are working for me now.