Locomobile 8 Cylinder Gathering Place

alsfarms

• 3 weeks later...

That's the Cliff Durant 1927 model 90. It didn't meet the seller's reserve on BAT this year and was purchased for $57K in 2020 if I remember right. We've posted prior photos in the model 90 thread. Will be interesting to see if more money is in the room (tent?) this time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All,

I am looking to connect with any or all of the Locomobile Model 8-80 owners.  I have a very sad 140" chassis that I hope to build into a speedster. I do have two Lycoming engines, so there are a few parts to trade or sell. Is there anybody out there????  Thanks in advance. Ben   (alvis43@comcast.net)P1140012.JPG.60184405fc09e771cae1fae0f1463301.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello Ben,

Ow and steady is a good course of action. I have found that I get more done doing small steps every day as compared to doing a heavy surge then nothing for 6 months! Did you do your "metal stitch" repair on the head? Lastly, are wheels you are putting on the running gear Dayton's?

Al

Hi Al,

The stitching was done by a fellow here in Ma. He has a great reputation, people bring him work from north and south. Yes the hubs are Dayton and I am trying to put a set of wheels together.

• Like 1

I once years ago had a couple of Marmon automobile's that used 20" Dayton wire wheels. I will check with a few of my Marmon contacts and see if I can help you locate a pair of spare wheels. Do you happen to have or know of any loose #5 Buffalo hubs?

Al

Google search revealed this RH view of a JR 8 engine. This engine still has an exposed flywheel like the Model 48 and 90, while the 8-70 and 8-80 do not.1926 Locomobile Junior Eight (1916 Speedster Style) - a photo on Flickriver

That is interesting that all of the Locomobile 8's are not much more similar in design. The Junior 8 is a nice looking engine. Similar but not same as Marmons first 8 being a Little Marmon 8 and it ran very well.

Al

It appears that the latest and most modern Locomobile sedan body was being made available to owners of earlier cars, as an update. To answer your question, a 1930 may be out there but I have never seen one and only a few 1929's. Has anyone else seen or heard of a 1930 Locomobile?

Al

On 3/24/2024 at 6:17 PM, Loco 90 said:

Hi Al,

The stitching was done by a fellow here in Ma. He has a great reputation, people bring him work from north and south. Yes the hubs are Dayton and I am trying to put a set of wheels together.

Frank Casey passed away not too long ago.  I believe his son was training with him and will continue (hopefully) doing the stitch work.  His process and equipment was 100% unique to him.  Definitely going to miss Frank.

• Thanks 1

I haven't seen any contemporary ads for used Locomobiles beyond the 1929 model year in numerous papers online. I wonder if the '30 is a body swap of sorts but not sure. This notice below poses the absolute outer limit when the factory, as a car company, was sold for a final time on 2/2/32. Shortly thereafter a public business event was held there suggesting it was cleared out for show space. Beyond that the history of the building is known. I'll be back this summer and can look through the historical files again and see if documentation shows when production exactly wound down.

loco.jpg

• Like 2

I cut the rusted right rear brake drum off of the sad 8-80 the other day. The brake shoes were frozen solid to it. The differential now turns freely for the first time in decades.  One more little step.

P4120005.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...