'53 Dodge Pickup brakes

WPVT

My neighbor's 1/2 ton 1953 Dodge pickup has a brake issue I'm going to look at. I thought I'd post this in case the issue seems familiar to anyone.

With the slightest touch, the left front brake grabs and locks up when traveling forward. To release it you need to put the truck in reverse, then it immediately lets go. Maybe some of the friction points just need lubricating.

Is there anything I should look for in case it isn't obvious when I pull the drum ?

Thanks. 

Edited by WPVT (see edit history)

Not sure of 53, but my on 64 D100 the shoes ride against the backing plate and can build up (or maybe wear in) h a high spot on the backing plate that can hang up the returning shoe.

I fixed mine with a file.

I put a tiny bit of grease there to try and prevent it from happening again.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

UPDATE:

My research tells me that this type of non-servo brake requires very careful adjustment, something these brakes probably haven't had. A local garage replaced the wheel cylinders and shoes, but I doubt they understood the finesse required to make the adjustments. Each shoe has two cams that must be adjusted sequentially several times to get the shoe concentric to the drum. Adjusted incorrectly, the shoes could self energize excessively and grab and lock. 

I'll see effect what a more careful adjustment has.   

• Like 1

UPDATE: I removed the drum and the shoes look contaminated. I tried the old trick of burning off the grease. Not a good method on non-riveted shoes. Great way to remove the lining.

So now I have new shoes on the way.

The dust seal was pretty bad... virtually non-existent. I'm guessing that's the culprit. 

• Like 1

You never called me for +++ N.O.S. +++ Asbestos Brake Shoes ---

I am only seeing your post / thread now ---

And, if you have the garbage brake shoes on the way --- you will have bigger problems than you ever had....

Here's my number if you want QUALITY brake shoes:

516 - 485 - 1935 ..... Craig, New York.....

Mobileparts,

I ordered brake shoes from a reputable long time supplier of parts for old vehicles.

Are you saying that all brake shoes other than NOS asbestos are garbage ?

I only use asbestos linings on my Lockheed brakes now days as the modern after market linings perform very poorly.

I use a ammco 1750 or the MT19 Miller tools and arc each shield set to each drum.

Old stock asbestos linings work extremely well and correctly as I remember back in the 60's and 70's.

Todays modern linings are too hard.

Too weak of stopping power and after sitting for amount of time ...even in dry storage brief wheel lock up can happen.

JMO on these 30's thru 50's MoPars using Lockheed double anchor and Center Plane brakes. 

• Like 2

c49er,

Thanks. Point taken. I don't have access to the equipment to arc the shoes. It's getting hard to even find an automotive machine shop. 

I'll just have to get by with the non-asbestos shoes adjusted as carefully as I can.

It's good to know however about the superiority of the older style shoes, in case I have to do the job again sometime.

In any event, I think new shoes adjusted well with new seals will be better than the somewhat new grease soaked poorly adjusted shoes that were in there.  At least I'd like to think so. 

My thanks is genuine. Most of what I do I try to do in the best manner possible. Now I know what that means when it comes to replacing Lockheed brakes shoes.

• Like 2

WPVT,

I don't have to say they are garbage.... What they ARE is garbage....

It is not entirely "their" fault.... EPA regulations have outlawed Asbestos, so these new fangled companies have no choice ---- they have to "hawk" their garbage...

Some of these new boxes even say "Non-Asbestos" like that is good !!!!

Ha Ha Ha !!!!  Well, it would be stupid of them to say "Our stuff sucks" on the box....

And --- especially --- in the 1930s through 1962 MOPAR world -- Asbestos is far more CRITICAL than in a 1972 Chevelle, let's say.....

Well, you can always call me if you want.... 516 - 485 - 1935.... Craig.

Sorry to be the bearer of real news !!!!! But I am not into fake news !!! Ha ha !!!!

• Like 1

I have a couple questions. Does anyone know of a shop in VT, MA, or NH that will arc grind shoes ?

The shoes on my other '54 Dodge have very little wear. They are riveted. Does that necessarily mean they are asbestos ? 

Bonded or Riveted has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not the shoes or +++ Asbestos +++.

And , actually, verrrry few companies back in the day ever provided center plane brake shoes (the Mopar World from the 1930s -- to 1961 / 1962) in

Riveted... They were practically ALL only Bonded....

How you can EASILY determine, without scientific certainty, is run your hand over the lining.  If it is soft and smoooooth as a baby's bottom, it IS

Asbestos (or a reasonable facsimile).  If it is rough, like sandpaper, and /

or metal fibers scrape your fingertips -- it is garbage.  What it just did to your fingertips, it will do to your brake drum, as it grips and grabs, and rips and shreds your brake Hub & Drum to smithereens....

Your braking will be rugged, and in no time, you will be spending monster money for Hubs & Drums...

• Like 1

Regarding arc grinding shoes, you may want to ask at brake supply shops that deal with commercial vehicles like large trucks. If they don't do it, they may be able to refer you to someone that does. You might have to start by asking around at the parts departments of large truck dealerships if there aren't any brake supply shops nearby. A lot of these services are business-to-business and they don't advertise.  And by brake supply shops, I mean an establishment that primarily deals with brakes, which is not necessarily your local auto parts store.

When calling around trying to locate a part or service, when whomever I'm talking with doesn't have the part or do the service, I always ask, "Do you know of anyone that might have the part or service?"  I've been able to find some pretty good suppliers that way.

Edited by Writer Jon
typos (see edit history)