Iceland's Official State Car

neil morse

Well, you learn something new every day!  From a photo accompanying an Associated Press article this morning about the US Ambassador to Iceland, I found out that Iceland still uses a 1942 Packard One Eighty Limousine as one of its official vehicles for transporting its President!  Very classy!

iceland_packard2jpg.jpg.e3c06fe3c1a28d14bbc70b1e4ab4d61a.jpg

iceland_packard3.thumb.jpg.477de5935f19d384a9c24eed42f443fb.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Classy indeed!  It's too bad that more "classy" cars can't be used for official VIP transport.  I'm guessing that as heavy as they were when manufactured, they wouldn't tolerate another ton or two of armor plate, 3 inch thick glass, etc.

Iceland is another deal altogether.  Nothing ages there since everything is "under ice".  Hence, the name "Iceland" ... or sumthin'.

Cheers,

Grog

P.S.  This China-Corona-Wuhan quarantine thing has addled the remains of my mind.

I was in Iceland about 3 years ago and found there are a couple of thriving antique car clubs and a couple of car museums there. My guess is the club supplied the transport shown in the photo. They are strong on big American cars there. 

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

Think of how much $$$ that vintage Packard is saving the taxpayers with its lower maintenance costs, vs. buying and maintaining a brand new Mercedes Maybach.  Not to mention,  more dignified entry and exit for the individuals riding in it, with its taller body and living room sofa-comfy seats.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 6:54 PM, capngrog said:

Iceland is another deal altogether.  Nothing ages there since everything is "under ice".  Hence, the name "Iceland" ... or sumthin'.

I was there in August 1966 trying to get a hop on Air Force planes back to Europe.  No ice, just rocks and gravel    and sunshine.  Spent 3 days there waiting for a hop on other than the dynamite flights to Norway.  Spent some   

time in the Officers club until it got dark at 3 AM.  After 3 days I bought a ticket on the weekly Icelantic flight to

Luxembourg.  Nice place to visit as they say..  Nobody picked me up in a 1942 Packard.  At least i was home

for my brother's wedding.  A few months later we were both stationed in Germany, 25 miles apart, both with old

Porsches..  

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spilling (see edit history)