Gas tank strap cushions

lancemb

I'm getting ready to install the gas tank on my 57 75R, and am wondering if I should install cushions under the strap.  These I know came with a cloth/rubber cushion underneath the trunk where the top of the tank would touch.  However, I don't remember seeing any ever between the straps and the tank, and any of my cars I've had the tank down on.

Any thoughts on this?  Why would there be cushions on top but not on bottom?

Cushions top only.  Probably sound deadening or maybe since that area is fixed, to keep from rubbing through top of tank.  But I have seen rust holes where the cushions trapped water and probably stayed wet.  I used some old nylon seat belt sections and saw no problems after 20 years when I dropped the tank to seal against rust inside. 

The main problem I have experienced is if there are too many cushions surrounding your tank, you will lose the ground for your gas gauge. With that said, I have used bike inner tubes sliced lengthwise so you couldn’t see them from below so there is no movement THEN I had to ground the sender separately. 

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the testimonials.  I have some thin cloth strips with a very light rubberized coating I think I'll use.  I'll have to run a ground wire anyway I think, as I painted the straps with POR-15.  I painted the tank too, but the paint I used on that should be fairly conductive.

My '49 had woven cotton belting as cushions top and bottom between metal strap and tank and between tank and body.  I bought some woven cotton belting material like you use in military belts with the brass slip-buckle.  It comes in colors by the yard on Amazon.  Seems like the factory material.