Lucille- My Fire Red 72 Electra 225 Custom Limited Sport Coupe

parkertom

I've been meaning to set up a thread on this car for some time now. I purchased in July 2018 from another BCA member, Steve, through a connection made by Brian Laurance. The car has only 48,470 miles on it and is a rare Fire Red color. I have the original sales order from Buckles Motors in Urbana, OH. The dealership closed in 2009, after 53 years in business. It is a highly optioned all original paint, vinyl top, and interior car. All in very good condition.

I haven't done too much with the car since it was delivered in 2018. Literally the day the shipper arrived, I helped unload and immediately left to assist my parents in cleaning out my grandparent's home after my grandfather was moved into assisted living. We also moved to a new home shortly after in September 2018. The Electra waited patiently in a cramped garage until my new detached could be finished in the spring of 2019. A 20' garage just isn't big enough for the 227.9" car!

As I understand it from Steve, he took ownership after it sat for a fairly long period of time. During that time of sitting, there was some damage to the electrical system by a mouse that he made some minor repairs to. Just to get the car running.

I have repaired the power windows and made sure all the lights, turn signals, etc are in working order. This past winter,  I had the Harrison radiator recored as it began leaking after I drove the car sparing late last summer.

My plan is to work through various items over the next several months in preparation to drive the car to the BCA National in Concord. NC next summer. My room is reserved, now to get the car ready.

A few things I know need to be addressed:

- Quadrajet rebuild- hesitation on acceleration, classic accelerator pump

- Exhaust repair- I think it is still the original exhaust and the resonators are toast

- New tires

- Air conditioning- Its not operating and I think I will want it on the long trip next summer?

- Interior repair- not sure on this. The driver's seat isn't in great shape.

I will use this thread to help keep me motivated.

721.jpg

722.jpg

20180721_085821 (1).jpg

IMG_3023.JPG

• Like 7

11 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Nothing worse than having a car sit around. Looking forward to your resurection activities and parking with you at the next National meets.  

Yes, it seems that it had sat a good bit before I bought it and I have only driven it a little locally since I bought it. Mainly because of the carburetor.

• Like 1

I've been lucky.  I never had the carb off mine.  I don't know how far you've driven the car BUT there is always a chance you can avoid a carb rebuild by getting fresh gas through it.  Have you ever tried to put additives in it?  Several times I used STP Red bottle gas treatment, and had success in avoiding a carb rebuild.  The times I did this I doubled the concentration with the gas in the car.  Then used a bottle in accordance with the directions in the refilled tank.    It just sucks to drive the car on that first tank.  The good news though is this is one year prior to introduction of catalytic converters.  And if it doesent work you'd only be out a few bucks.  

• Like 1

Tom, I'm thankful to see that you are sticking with this car and are determined to keep working at it.  It's great that there is a specific date by which you hope to have the car road ready, and that is very useful as a motivator.  I look forward to seeing your progress.

I think that this is a pretty special car in terms of the color and option mix, so I'm convinced that it's a car worth saving and re-doing as needed.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 7/29/2020 at 9:33 PM, JohnD1956 said:

I've been lucky.  I never had the carb off mine.  I don't know how far you've driven the car BUT there is always a chance you can avoid a carb rebuild by getting fresh gas through it.  Have you ever tried to put additives in it?  Several times I used STP Red bottle gas treatment, and had success in avoiding a carb rebuild.  The times I did this I doubled the concentration with the gas in the car.  Then used a bottle in accordance with the directions in the refilled tank.    It just sucks to drive the car on that first tank.  The good news though is this is one year prior to introduction of catalytic converters.  And if it doesent work you'd only be out a few bucks.  

John, I need to get back in the habit of visiting the forum more frequently. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try the additive route and see how that helps, it had run down to just about empty and I filled the tank with all new fuel. It may also just need some adjustment, seems very cold natured at times, too.

On 7/31/2020 at 1:50 PM, Centurion said:

Tom, I'm thankful to see that you are sticking with this car and are determined to keep working at it.  It's great that there is a specific date by which you hope to have the car road ready, and that is very useful as a motivator.  I look forward to seeing your progress.

I think that this is a pretty special car in terms of the color and option mix, so I'm convinced that it's a car worth saving and re-doing as needed.

Thank you, Brian. I enjoy driving it very much, just need to focus on getting through the "to do" list on it. July will be here before I know it!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/29/2020 at 1:41 PM, parkertom said:

I've been meaning to set up a thread on this car for some time now. 

I will use this thread to help keep me motivated.

721.jpg

Hi Tom, 

the forum is a great motivator. I found that by putting up one or two things about my 1963 Skylark convertible, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant, will always get a comment or a like or some great advise, which keeps you going.

Sure, there are some truly magnificent projects being done here in the Buick and other forums, but they don’t all have to be about frame offs. 

I enjoy reading about the small trials that people have in fitting a door trim clip or a water pump bypass hose or sorting out their garage space just as much as reading about someone applying the next guide coat in preparation for their final finish.

And you have to admire people who are honest about their failures too!

And the learning that you get from those posts can be more about what you are trying to do yourself !

Cheers

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1