Amount of painted needed

It depends on several things.  Color chosen, brand of paint, surface preparation,  Touring or roadster, size of car, kind of spray equipment used, how much paint you want to put on it and type of job you are looking for are some of the things that would change the amount of paint you need.  It is better to err on the plus side than come up short.

Using an HVLP paint system,  here's what I have found:

1. I'm assuming you are painting your fenders/spash aprons black.  Count on 1 gallon for black. That should be plenty. If you ever have to perform a touch-up or re-do, there is no problem in getting a matching black (provided you buy the same brand).

2. For the body, count on 2 gallons (I'm assuming you're painting the inside of the body as well). This will let you make mistakes and have some left over in the future should anything happen. You can't count on buying the same color in the future and having a perfect match. Get what you might need in the same purchase order.

I would feel very comfortable buying 1 gallon for fenders and 2 gallons for body. Just buying 1 gallon for the body is cutting it very close. You'll have to do a perfect job the first time. 

Read carefully what companies consider a "gallon of paint."  Some give you a gallon a base coat. Others will give you 3 quarts of bc and a quart of reducer/hardener. 

Edited by RansomEli
grammar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, RansomEli said:

Read carefully what companies consider a "gallon of paint."  Some give you a gallon a base coat. Others will give you 3 quarts of bc and a quart of reducer/hardener. 

I think they refer to that as "a gallon kit".