1948 Dodge Deluxe 4-Door Sedan Fluid-Drive

Danger

Hello folks,

I have a dilemma.  I am looking for suggestions on the best course of action to take in regards to the engine/transmission (gear box) combination for a 1948 Dodge Deluxe 4-Door Sedan Fluid-Drive.  See link below for full description.  My problem is that the engine (Chrysler L-head Six 230) is literally busted as it has a gaping hole on the bottom side.  That brings me to the dilemma.  

What is the best course of action:

1.  Hunt down a replacement engine of the type that originally came with the car.  Are such engines out there anywhere? Due to the fact that the gear box is a fluid drive, I was once told that finding a modern engine to mate to the old gear box would be extremely problematic.  Replacing the original engine with an identical (or similar) period engine would would be ideal.   Are there such engines out there and available?  Or, 

2. Replace both engine and the gearbox with a modern pairing. Or,

3. Other options??? 

Car description:

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1948/588590/dodge_deluxe_4-door_sedan_fluid-drive.html

Thanks all,

Danger

You should be able to find one, or at least something real close. The first question anyone will ask is how long is the head, 23" or 25". Measure it and find out. This basic engine was made for decades and is almost indestructible. I'm sure with a little looking around something will turn up.

• 4 weeks later...