Bluetooth radio for '65 Riviera

Parccent65

What is a good, reasonably priced Bluetooth radio brand that would work in a '65 Riviera? How difficult is it to replace the radio in one of these? Is there a chain shop that would install it? I want to keep the same center mounted dash speaker and add a rear speaker if possible. Thanks

I think they basically use your chassis and put new guts in it.  AM/FM, Bluetooth, MP3, an auxiliary jack, etc.  Lots of firms do these conversions, I'm sure you'll get a few recomendations

38 minutes ago, Parccent65 said:

If it's converted to Bluetooth it has to stay AM, right? I found a place called Rick's Radio Conversions in Virginia. Are there many of these places around that do it?

• Like 1

Bill The radio Guy uses the Aurora Design AM FM Aux  FMR 2.7 and the BT 2.5 for Blue tooth. The pkg using your orignal radio is about $600.00. $50.00 more if you want the BTU which adds USB for charging and thumb drives. Located in Washington state and listed as dealer for Aurora design.

bill@billtheradioguy.com

Billtheradioguy.com for more information

I purchased a RetroSound brand radio for my 65. It has blue tooth , hands free phone with mic, I pod connectivity, takes a sub woofer . The sound it puts out is fine and the appearance looks the part.  I now mainly use it with Spotify .They have several facia plates  and knobs to choose from.I believe it now comes with DAB radio as well.It does have a retro look about it but with modern features and was easy to install. You can find RetroSound on the web and their dealer locations. I also thought it was a reasonable price.

On 6/19/2020 at 11:47 PM, Parccent65 said:

What is a good, reasonably priced Bluetooth radio brand that would work in a '65 Riviera? How difficult is it to replace the radio in one of these? Is there a chain shop that would install it? I want to keep the same center mounted dash speaker and add a rear speaker if possible. Thanks

in terms of the radio I looked into this and found it bit expensive and also pain to get radio out etc...especially for the amount of time i actually spent in the car...so i bought a bluetooth wireless speaker called an Oontz Angle 3XL and put it on parcel shelf, or back seat or whereever....sort of looks the part and is loud.....and run it from my mobile phone...best of both worlds...

Cheers

Kev

I have one similar to this one:

https://www.vintagecarradio.com/vintage-radios/riviera/custom-autosound/vintage-radios/riviera/custom-autosound/custom-autosound-1963-65-buick-riviera-usa-630-in-dash-am-fm/

Unfortunately mine does not have bluetooth, so I bought a cheapo $15 AUX to bluetooth converter and use my phone as the music source via bluetooth.  I made a simple 3D printed mount for my phone that lets it clip onto the dash. 

Open this link.

http://www.turnswitch.com/radio1.htm

Read what they can do with your factory radio.

Scroll down until you see a 1966 Chevrolet radio - it will be basically the same as your Buick radio except for the face plate and the knobs.  You can see the inner workings.  

If you scroll down father, you can a link a video of what they've done to a 1955 Delco radio and how it works,  and what it will look like once installed.

RIght beneath the video link is a price list for different services.

They also have a wide selection of speakers for you guys who are not converting but want that 10 ohm speaker to go with your original unit.

The Turnswitch.com link Ed posted mentions 'gutting' the old electronics and retaining the mechanical tuner. They use acclaimed Aurora Design products which has 2 attributes.

1) Retain original look because it's inside the original radio cabinet with original faceplate

2) It is reversible.

So, why gut the old stuff? I'm sure the conversion can be completed leaving the old circuit board in-place.

I installed a 3.5mm "Aux-In" stereo jack in the '63s ashtray compartment to the original Delco Radio. The Jack has two 500 ohm resistors to combine both channels into mono. I then purchased a bluetooth receiver since the new 'thin' cellphones no longer provide a wired output. If you can DIY,  works great!

There are also cigeratte lighter bluetooth receivers out there but I am using the unit below

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-PCS-High-Quality-3-5mm-1-8-Audio-Stereo-Socket-PCB-Mount-PJ306BM/142016664812?_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170221122447%26meid%3D8a42bc77fcdc47119cc2355294622a88%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D141778007430%26itm%3D142016664812&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

3-PCS-High-Quality-3-5mm-1-8-Audio-Stereo-Socket-PCB-Mount-PJ306BM

image.png.dd61908ef6c5a9415cf380e365634c1a.png

John B.

Two main options:

One is a new radio which looks like a retro. They'll do am/fm and bluetooth so you can broadcast to it from your phone. You can find them at places like Best Buy or any decent auto audio installer.

The other option is to leave the original and get a bluetooth receiver and hide it in the dash, glovebox, etc. You can put new speakers where the old are, and there are numerous ways to hide additional speakers, subwoofers, amplifiers, etc. It really depends on how much you want to spend and how loud you want the audio.

Also ask about soundbars. They're all-in-one units of speakers, bluetooth receiver, etc., that can be mounted below the dash (pretty unobtrusively) and they can thump depending on the one you buy. However, you might hate the look if you're really into the original look.