Carter WCD for ‘38 Special - rebuild and fitting

Hi all, I purchased a group of Buick parts from a 1947 Special which included a Carter WCD carburettor. It had the original tag so was able to confirm its origin.

I would like to install it on my ‘38 to replace the Marvel original. Main reason is poor starting and black soot over my driveway at cold start. And because I can 😊. I like the Carter auto choke set up and hope I can adapt it to my ‘38.

Jon Carburettor King rated the Carter WCD highly so keen to see this one on my Buick!

I have some new kit parts including pump plunger and check balls, needle and seat and gaskets, however I have made my own gaskets.

I have disassembled and cleaned it up but did not remove the check balls. Perhaps I should.

1. any special precautionary measures to look for in the process of rebuilding?

2. any hints or things to consider when fitting in place of the Marvel.

All wise words will be thankfully received.

1CCF027F-6822-4DA0-A6DA-4EF729EAF731.jpeg

CDD07F5F-768D-473E-9431-024194FF2BCB.jpeg

E3803A58-9204-4D9C-808E-511B0B1E7786.jpeg

• Like 1

I made the conversion on my '37 and I'm very glad I did.  

If you start on page 55 on my blog, then the finish is on page 56.  Its a fairly complete step-by-step process to convert the marvel to the Carter.

Here is page 55, starting the conversion :  Just touch the arrow in the upper right corner"

Marvel to Carter Part 1:

You will see that I made my own throttle rod to actuate the carburetor out of stainless rod, formed in a "z" like pattern to fit under the manifolds...

I have since come across an original throttle set up that I am going to fit on the car soon.  The marvel attached on the engine side, the Carter attaches on the fender side so a few adjustments had to be made.  The other issue I had was that the Carter sat higher, so I could not use the entire stack of gaskets under the Carter or the hood would not close.  It hit the air cleaner.

But all in all, you'll be happy with the result.

If you need any further photos for clarification, please don't hesitate.  

Gary

Edited by Gary W (see edit history)

Hi Gary,

that gives me a lot of confidence to go ahead with the conversion. I’m sure I can figure something on the stove pipe and inspired to know yours worked effectively. Will keep you posted.

Step 1 is to complete the cleaning and overhaul.

cheers

Rodney

BTW did you have a photo of the original OEM  linkage set up you came across?

Edited by rodneybeauchamp
More information needed (see edit history)

44 minutes ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi Gary,

that gives me a lot of confidence to go ahead with the conversion. I’m sure I can figure something on the stove pipe and inspired to know yours worked effectively. Will keep you posted.

Step 1 is to complete the cleaning and overhaul.

cheers

Rodney

BTW did you have a photo of the original OEM  linkage set up you came across?

I thought those cars came with either Marvel or Stromberg carburetors

I saw a Roadmaster 320 that had been converted to a Carter carb with a Carter-style choke. There was a well in the manifold, probably where the Delco choke had been located. Someone had made a tube that just hung down to the bottom of the well, and then fashioned a leaky cover to let air in to be heated and sucked up by the tube. I don't know for sure that it made enough hot air, but the owner had had it like that for years and wasn't complaining of any choke or cold running trouble. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a bit more progress, things have come together nicely so far thanks to input from the forum. In particular Gary W restoration project sets out nicely the throttle linkage alteration. 

I made up a temporary lever using some thin timber as it would be easy to alter. After finding that the first lot of hole positions seemed OK and confirmation that I was getting full throttle without binding, I made a bracket out of aluminium sheet. Easy metal to work and will confirm on the road test if the configuration is right, I will then make up a proper steel one.

Was very pleased that the RHD throttle linkage and fuel connections required no modifications at all, however I renewed the brass fitting at the carburettor. Vacuum advance tube required a little tweaking to fit the new location, nothing drastic.

Jons articles on automatic chokes prompted me to try to come up with a stove pipe system that would be reliable and look like it was done in 1938. I am going to tightly bend the 1/4” copper tube into a coil that will fit snugly into the manifold tube that was vacated by the Delco / Marvel unit. You can see in the picture my first attempt which came up a touch short but should work a treat when I get more tubing. It fitted so snugly inside the manifold, I almost wrecked the coil getting it out. 

With three or four full coils inside the tube leading up to the Carter choke coil it should get plenty hot. (Great article on the net explaining how to bend it tightly around a round mandrill without collapsing the tube by filling it full of sandblasting grit, crimping both ends and bend it). I might seal the end and introduce the air just up from the bottom to avoid picking up grit, dust or dirt that could settle in there.

Not sure what to do about the hand throttle just yet, but least of my concerns.

Pictures should help explain the progress. Not started yet but will do this weekend hopefully.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

80275642-2171-42AC-94A1-160CA92C43C3.jpeg

F741FBEC-9306-4F9B-B696-BBFC2FDF6A65.jpeg

8173B10F-B12A-468D-87CD-9A549AA747C2.jpeg

3E37514B-9FAF-4ED6-BA4D-906D28162B3E.jpeg

• Like 1

OK. Well, it starts, it runs, it drives. Still not 100% but getting there. 

The Carter carburettor swap has certainly cured the “no start” problem that I had with the Marvel. It has started every time, cold, hot, flooded. It seems like it wants to start, where as with the Marvel, it was fingers crossed.

Have shortened the stove pipe tube and covered it with and insulating tube. It does seems to take a while to get warm to the point you can’t keep your hand on it, so hoping the insulation helps.

I still haven’t got the automatic choke setting right.  I tested the coil with a hairdryer and it does work, but I’m not seeming to get it set right. My understanding is that it pushes against the choke lever to open it as it warms, but what then closes the choke as it cools.

And it does seem to idle a bit fast even with the idle screw not touching. Whether that’s a linkage issue, not certain.

”New” air cleaner fits well, used a thin 0.015” gasket paper to make a spacer to match the carburettor diameter, it is snug and doesn’t need a clamp. Unsure whether to leave it or paint it black. 😀😀😀

Engine seems more responsive to throttle, but I need to get it on the road again, after yesterday’s brief testing.

I have lost the hand throttle feature but it is a small price to pay.  

Some more pictures. First shows the coil that fits in the tube on the manifold, the rest show how it looks. The black hose runs to a 6V vacuum gauge. 😀😀😀😀

1CC2A57F-FF67-49B2-8632-ED76142D2289.jpeg

3DD09F30-D56F-4AA3-9BA9-2774328F32EE.jpeg

0B1D5D94-4487-4086-A608-D37B030EAF59.jpeg

E4EB0B87-E3C6-4990-91E1-0F0B760DDC95.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has been a while but Black Beauty went out this late afternoon for her first real test. New Carter carburettor has been off only thrice and choke fiddled with. Adjusted the new stove pipe to make proper contact with the manifold. Gotta say, it starts every time and you can tell it wants to start whereas the Marvel was a cross your fingers job! After a short trip around the coast to warm it up, out on the open road with a 100kmh speed limit. 

It seem to ran quite happily at 55mph - 60mph on the speedo, in fact it seemed happier at 60 than it had before. Probably imagination, but I’d be OK running at that speed on the right roads. After a short check of the stove pipe and choke plate position (off) we headed home.

Not sure if I have all the settings 100% but it seems happier than with the Marvel. 

I might start to enjoy using her again knowing it is going to start each time!

Happy to get any feedback or tips from owners who have also done the same conversion. Love to find a NOS carburettor one day at an affordable price but in the meantime, will persevere with this one!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Final leg in the carburettor conversion.  Grit blasted the cover and used single pack (old school) primer with a Pasche hobby air brush to undercoat. Then silver acrylic on the inside.

Had a small tin of old enamel and mixed it with lacquer thinners to do the black. Three coats came out nice and shiny and dried by a wood fire inside each time ( love all these old school techniques 😀😀) IMO it just looks smart!

Suppose now it is officially a hot rod! 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

65F6F8BD-F67A-4501-A48F-D0B3C8F3F44A.jpeg

46CCB12E-75AC-4E05-8611-B6EEAF4F5DF8.jpeg

D4A17565-151E-4716-BB2A-36777CFCE6B8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So took the ‘38 down to the Big Smoke (Adelaide) and back which is about 160km (100miles) on 100kmh country roads, 100kmh expressway and suburban roads.

Black Beauty performed very well, always starting, and running nicely. All gauges stayed at the right levels, temp seemed good even after a couple of steep hills. After getting used to having a soft grip on the wheel as it follows the ruts and grooves in the road, stick it in third and go!

Not sure if I have set the metering rods correctly and don’t know if this has any affect on power, but it seems to go OK.  55mph on the speedo to me seems about right and I feel comfortable driving at that speed. On wider freeways might be a bit faster but otherwise 55 is good.

Glad to see other drivers trying to squeeze you out when the overtaking lanes come to an end but “ just because they are driving, doesn’t mean they have a brain”

So I’m overall quite happy with the Carter carburettor conversion, it starts reliably and runs fine and begins to give you a bit of confidence when you take it places.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 6/2/2020 at 8:02 PM, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi all, I purchased a group of Buick parts from a 1947 Special which included a Carter WCD carburettor. It had the original tag so was able to confirm its origin.

I would like to install it on my ‘38 to replace the Marvel original. Main reason is poor starting and black soot over my driveway at cold start. And because I can 😊. I like the Carter auto choke set up and hope I can adapt it to my ‘38.

Jon Carburettor King rated the Carter WCD highly so keen to see this one on my Buick!

I have some new kit parts including pump plunger and check balls, needle and seat and gaskets, however I have made my own gaskets.

I have disassembled and cleaned it up but did not remove the check balls. Perhaps I should.

1. any special precautionary measures to look for in the process of rebuilding?

2. any hints or things to consider when fitting in place of the Marvel.

All wise words will be thankfully received.

1CCF027F-6822-4DA0-A6DA-4EF729EAF731.jpeg

CDD07F5F-768D-473E-9431-024194FF2BCB.jpeg

E3803A58-9204-4D9C-808E-511B0B1E7786.jpeg

Edited by rodneybeauchamp (see edit history)

I swapped my original Marvel for a Carter 608S and never looked back.  

The Carter has an integral vacuum start switch so I removed my original manifold start switch and rerouted the wires to the Carter.  

There are a few modifications to be made, and I documented the whole transition step-by-step.

Just touch the arrow in the upper right corner: