1931 DH exhaust scheme?

Hi guys,

i can't believe that the exhaust of my car is stock that way, it ends in the middle below the body. I don't see any other mounts.
Also the car is quite noisy..

Has someone a scheme of the exhaust, so i can rebuild one with universal dampers?

The second issue is the crossmember with seems to be cut through where the driveshaft is. Shall i repair this with a piece of steel and screws?

thank you, Oliver

20200601_181101.jpg

The exhaust should continue back and loop over the rear axle and then extend under the gas tank to the rear of the car.  Not sure what is going on with your frame.  My 32 DL is different, so I'll let the more knowledgeable members chime in on that.  If it does need repair, it needs to have metal welded in by someone who knows what they are doing, and using the proper gauge of steel.

57 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

Does your frame have that missing section in the cross-member, keiser31?  It doesn't look right.

No. That cross member needs to be repaired on the original poster's car. A piece should be made and welded in to bring it back it's original strength.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, Oliver Lincoln said:

Thank you so much, guys!

This helps me a lot!

But strange that there is only one silencer.

Oliver

Fairly normal for one in the era.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Silly question, what's the significance of the angle cut at the end of the tail pipe in the Budd photo in post #3 by Keiser ? 

Meaning, were they all finished like this when new?

Probably cut like that to deflect the exhaust away from the car and off to the side.

Oliver , my pic of hanger was to test as i just made it . Had to make a tailpipe to finish mine to back also . I can give you a drawing to show hangers two parts . Also if you have access to electricians hand bender make your own pipe . I simply drew profile full scale of vehicle . Tank , hanger ,axle ,muffler and frame . Place no go areas and clearances wanted on the cardboard template . Laid bender on to mark degrees and locations of kicks in pipe . Came out well . But must confess was a electrician and bend thousands of conduits . 

307824755_tplaidout.thumb.jpg.9cd08fec484f2bc2b894c215ea759848.jpg17342324_tpon.thumb.jpg.c0f8f5fd5f8167c9ac07e6eb24182a49.jpg

I am going to guess someone cut that crossmember to make it easier to work on the driveshaft.

I did the same thing on my VERY modified 28 Victory six.

I used a piece of angle and nuts and bolts to replace the part that I cut with no problems.

And I have probably four times the horse power than stock.

On 6/2/2020 at 6:54 PM, ArticiferTom said:

Oliver , my pic of hanger was to test as i just made it . Had to make a tailpipe to finish mine to back also . I can give you a drawing to show hangers two parts . Also if you have access to electricians hand bender make your own pipe . I simply drew profile full scale of vehicle . Tank , hanger ,axle ,muffler and frame . Place no go areas and clearances wanted on the cardboard template . Laid bender on to mark degrees and locations of kicks in pipe . Came out well . But must confess was a electrician and bend thousands of conduits . 

Thank you Tom, i will try to get universal pipes to build it.

Oliver

• 1 month later...