1928 Chrysler Model 72 Tire Information? Where is it?

OK, I'll suspend my disbelief.  In the owners manual there is no information on how to change a tire?  Where the jack goes?  How to remove a tire from the rim?  Am I missing something?  How could they have omitted this valuable information in 1928 from the owners manual?  

With the low mileage between flats I would guess the thought anyone/everyone would be familiar with changing a mounted tire with rim or mounting a new tire.  As far as where the jack goes it isn't like a modern car where you can bend things if the jack is not in the right place.   Anywhere between the ground and a flat surface (axle or spring) is okay as long as the jack is vertical.

Do a search here, there are many posts about split rims, two piece rims, three piece rims in all configurations.

Good Luck.

3 hours ago, leomara said:

OK, I'll suspend my disbelief.  In the owners manual there is no information on how to change a tire?  Where the jack goes?  How to remove a tire from the rim?  Am I missing something?  How could they have omitted this valuable information in 1928 from the owners manual?  

Show us your wheel and we can give you some tips on working with it.

Tinindian, thanks for your input, yes I've tried to look through previous posts and yes there is a lot of information about refinishing wood wheels which is all very good.  But I need some specific information about the 1928 Chrysler wood wheel on a Model 72 which takes a 600 X 18 tire as the photo above shows.

Jack up under the spring after cracking the 4 rim nuts loose

remove the nuts and slide the rim off the wheel

lay it flat on the floor and remove or loosen the inner tube valve

with a large screw driver pry the locking ring up and out away from the rim working around the rim ( your photo  1 O'clock position )

Now you cad pry the tire off the rim.

Hey 28 Chrysler, will a split rim tool be required to spread the rim back into place after the tire is changed.  Also do you have an opinion on how to refinish the wheels metal and wood parts.  I've read some posts which say if the spokes are sound and not loose it's not required to disassemble the wheel.  And then there are those balancing weights?

You can reinstall it  with a screwdriver but an old tire spoon is a bit better.

The wheels  should be left assembled if at all possible.  (The bolts for the hubs are peened over )

Sand the wood and paint the body color, the locking ring is aluminum or a dull silver and the rim is a satin black

Just a bit of a warning.

Old hard tires makes the job much harder

Edited by 28 Chrysler (see edit history)

My 1928 Chrysler had split RINGS, not split rims. That is a very different rim. I took mine to a tire shop with a wheel cage. They can be dangerous. Looking at your photo, I can see the split ring. If they fly off they can kill or maim. Use caution. Zeke

3 hours ago, zeke01 said:

My 1928 Chrysler had split RINGS, not split rims. That is a very different rim. I took mine to a tire shop with a wheel cage. They can be dangerous. Looking at your photo, I can see the split ring. If they fly off they can kill or maim. Use caution. Zeke

Duh. I missed seeing that it is a split ring and not split rim on the photo.

OK now I'm confused.  Don't have to worry about anything flying off or blowing up because all 4 wheels are pretty much flat, only the sidewalls of the old tires are holding this baby up.  I bought a nice old tire spreading tool, Master Junior, looks fairly unused.  But seriously, how do I proceed with split ring?

Tire Tool.jpg

Release all of the air and pry around the edges of the split ring to disassemble. The only time you have to worry about it being a danger is when you are refilling the tire with air. The split ring has to seat properly to stay on the wheel. I would take the wheels to a truck stop or truck tire mounting place. They will know exactly how to dismount and mount the tires. That rim spreading tool will not work on the split ring style wheel. Watch this video....

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When refilling with air, you might put a couple of ropes or belts around the tire through the wheel while inflating to keep the ring on the wheel. With air pressure, the rings can become airborne.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)