Reatta I picked up for $400!

MarkV

Probably told it was an electronic nightmare. Long time ago I bought a parts car for $250 that just needed a MAF. OTOH that looks like a really nice car.

Rough idle is probably secondary ignition, I would change to a Delco ignition, new plugs and 8 mm plug wires. AC is just typical of age and unit is standard GM ATS used on many cars. Disconnect battery to reset.

Need to pull Teves codes to find ABS issue.

It looks like it’s the abs sensor so I’m looking for a new one, brakes are fine

the coil is bad I had an extra in the garage! And I bought a new ignition module both are Herko brand which I have been running in my other ones for years. 

im also getting the ac fixed too! 

The mounting is also different on the Caddys. Reatta fronts have the mounting hole at a right angle to the sensor and Reatta rears have the mounting hold straight off the end of the sensor.

89-90 Cadillacs have the front mounting straight like the Reatta rears. A Cadillac front could be used on the rear of a Reatta but it is also longer than the Reatta.

Earlier Cadillacs also used the Teves system but has different mounting sensors.

The first picture is of a Cadillac front and the same as a Reatta rear.

The second picture is of a Reatta front.

The last picture is of an early Cadillac Seville.

If a person needs any sensors, I can be reached at reattas60@gmail.com

whlSpdCadDevillea.JPG

wssrea1.JPG

whlspdseville88b.JPG

So the ignition module and coil were a big reason why the car ran poorly and also a timing chain looks like it’s bad too. So we are doing the cam magnet, crank sensor and timing with new gaskets etc. 

Just makes sense to do all three at the same time.

BTW it is easy to check a chain: Breaker bar and socket on craink snout. Rock and see how much play you feel (eaisier with plugs out).

Of course rattling or a hole in the timing cover are other signs.

14 hours ago, handmedownreatta said:

i assumed that was a low miles car because of how it looks.but i guess not if the timing chains worn out.

it has 144k on it which is fairly low for these. But timing chains go bad I did one In a lesabre years ago and did one in my 89 Reatta. 

Harmonic balancer sounds like lower bearings going bad which explains how you might have got it for so cheap. The PO probably thought the lower engine was bad and didn't want to put more money in it. Unless you get a code E041 I think the cam magnet, chain and tensioner are still good so you could wait on that if you want.

On 5/11/2020 at 12:28 PM, DAVES89 said:

Harmonic balancer sounds like lower bearings going bad which explains how you might have got it for so cheap. The PO probably thought the lower engine was bad and didn't want to put more money in it. Unless you get a code E041 I think the cam magnet, chain and tensioner are still good so you could wait on that if you want.

it was for sure the chain so I’m having it replaced along with the balancer, water pump, alternator,  belt, magnet, crank and cam sensors, etc. $600 and I supplied parts. The shop I go to can’t get the parts for what I can get them for from a local long established shop. They also replaced the coil and ignition module. 

now have to do the ac, they also changed the oil and coolant. I’m also going to have the brake fluid flushed and the driver window fixed. Neither window will go down I’m thinking it’s the button. 

8C41BCC6-3E94-45A3-878F-F94D39E01C45.jpeg

ACBAB518-1295-4A2D-A45B-802D2AA1AFF0.jpeg

Edited by MarkV (see edit history)

On 5/11/2020 at 12:28 PM, DAVES89 said:

it was for sure the chain so I’m having it replaced along with the water pump, alternator,  belt, magnet, crank and cam sensors, etc. $600 and I supplied parts. The shop I go to can’t get the parts for what I can get them for from a local long established shop.

now have to do the ac, they also changed the oil and coolant. I’m also going to have the brake fluid flushed and the driver window fixed

08891A08-C3BA-4371-851D-853D27EA6635.jpeg

5EDDACED-5A11-4873-BBD6-6D9DC616CE23.jpeg

Must be a labor of love but you will know everything is new.

The balancers usually have the rubber start to fail and it clanks at idle but usually quiets at speed. It is captive by steel so will not come apart. You can usually feel/see the cracks

ps the 88 is the only year that has the 3800 cast in the plenium and not on the engine cover.

15 minutes ago, padgett said:

The balancers usually have the rubber start to fail and it clanks at idle but usually quiets at speed. It is captive by steel so will not come apart. You can usually feel/see the cracks

ps the 88 is the only year that has the 3800 cast in the plenium and not on the engine cover.

well I want to make it right for our relative and it is in very good shape otherwise. $400 is scrap value basically. So even if I put $1500 into it that’s $1900 and most everything is new! I paid $2k for my reatta in 2013 and then I had to fix everything.
the car was well taken care of when the previous owners grandfather owned it from new. The kid inherited the car and over the last few months of driving things went bad. 
the funny thing is that it passed smog in March. So this happened recently.

Edited by MarkV (see edit history)

8 hours ago, padgett said:

these days of new parts all made in china with one year warranties makes me at least try to find ac delco parts.