Metz Runabout?

John Duresky

I'm working on a book about WWII POWs from Bataan.   This site was really helpful in identifying cars that belonged to the main deceased veteran of our book.   One thing has led to another, now I'm helping a friend locate information on her family, but now around WWI.    In a box she had photos with this car.    The closest I can come to identifying it is maybe a Metz around 1911.   A photo with the flags on the car is dated July 4, 1916.   Can anyone tell the make and model and year?   Looks like a hot little car to me, great shape to it, nice bicycle spoke tires.   In the photo of the back of it, you can see a shadow on the ground of a person, possibly his wife or girlfriend, with an elbow out.   Not hard to imagine they were using one of those box cameras where you had to look down in the top of it to frame the picture.....not quite an iPhone, but it took a really nice shot of the car. Thanks   John Duresky

CROPPED IMG_4176.JPG

CROPPED IMG_4177.jpg

CROPPED IMG_4187.jpg

CROPPED IMG_4190.jpg

CROPPED IMG_4194.jpg

Wow, was I ever off.    Thanks much.   Pretty cool car.   Would it have been common to do that back then.   In some photos they have that angled enclosed box (poor man's trunk I guess) on the back, and the photo of the guy with the buck slung over his shoulder it looks like an open pickup type box.   In a day when aerodynamics weren't even considered, it has a fairly streamlined look.

Very commonly done. I have a whole collection of early auto accessory catalogs and they all had bodies for Ts that you could buy to make anything from a truck to a race car from. Will ck and see if I can find a body like the one in the pjcture. Could be that it was home made from parts of several cars though.

Terry

Here's another cool car, looks like a doughboy from some point after WWI.   I'm sure I was mistakenly born in the wrong decade.   I was supposed to be born around 1900 so I could have been around when those cars were everywhere.   Cars then were works of art, not they're just works of computer graphics. 

IMG_4216.JPG

15 minutes ago, John Duresky said:

Here's another cool car, looks like a doughboy from some point after WWI.   I'm sure I was mistakenly born in the wrong decade.   I was supposed to be born around 1900 so I could have been around when those cars were everywhere.   Cars then were works of art, not they're just works of computer graphics. 

IMG_4216.JPG

Another Model T Ford.

The touring car has already had some paint changes.  The wheels would have been black from the factory; these have been repainted in a light color and pin-striped.  Also, the light-colored pin-striping on the body was added after the car left the factory.  Some well-off buyers could have paid the dealer extra to do that bit of customizing before delivery.

With the car having the large style no rivet rearend and the smooth backing plates it is most likely a 1915 chassis. The colour photo shows what a 1913/14 rear housing would look like with the 12 rivets around the pot.

Copy.jpg

13-14 rear.jpg

Edited by coachJC (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Gentlemen, thank you very much for all this expert information.   I've passed it all on to my friend, Melisa, so her family history becomes a bit more detailed.    One interesting little side note, the man I'm writing the WWII book about got his first ride in a plane in 1929 after winning a contest as a Boy Scout.   He went up in a WACO biplane and now we have a PACO speedster.   PACO meet WACO.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1