Spark Plug Question 1939 Chrysler Royal

Brooklyn Beer

I have a 1939 Chrysler Royal on it's way and after doing a web search I see choosing a spark plug is a very personal choice. But one thing I see is as many people choosing a resistor plug over a non resistor plug.  So I was hoping someone with a greater set of electrical skills can tell me what really is the difference of running either in a stock 1939 motor ?   And what plug would you run?

Since resistor plugs weren't developed until the '60s,  a non-resistor plug would be standard for a '39.   And as the last paragraph below mentions,  a resistor plug delivers a lower energy spark.  All the more reason not to use a resistor plug in a car that was not designed to require one.

image.thumb.png.eeb2233ce25f14be4293e12f3239ca8f.png

I would use a non resistor plug of the same make and type as recommended by the manufacturer of the car. Didn't Chrysler use Autolite as standard equipment? I would use solid core spark plug wires same as original equipment and if I wanted it to start and run in all weather I would buy the Everdry  spark plug boots from Bernbaum. BUT I would use a resistance wire for the coil wire in the interest of radio suppression.

• Like 2

I doubt a resistor plug delivers a lower energy spark. Maybe a little lower. The resistor would raise the firing voltage by a little but probably not a lot.

The old standard advice was to never use both resistor plugs and resistor wires on the same car if it had a points ignition. Once resistor wires became available, anything that had a radio probably had them for interference suppression. That meant non-resistor plugs always for old cars.

Looking back with more understanding of how ignition systems work, I think that might be an old wives tale.

From a practical standpoint, in 2020, almost all non resistor plugs have been discontinued, and some heat ranges discontinued altogether, even in resistor plugs. What plugs are they offering to fit a 39 Chrysler?

I too would run non-resistor plugs if I could get them. My Pontiac has lawnmower plugs in it. Where theres a will theres a way.....

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I tend to ask questions and then look to see what other are running and make comparison.  I find Rock Auto a good source because of the spec's they give.  

MOTORCRAFT SP473A {#SP473} Info  
w/ Aluminum Head; .025"/0.6mm, OE Style; Non-Resistor Plug; Copper

<
Part image
>
$0.71  

AUTOLITE 295 {#295DP} Non-Resistor Info   One of our most popular parts
.025 Gap; Non-Resistor Plug; OE Style; with Cast Iron Cylinder Head

Part image  
$1.01  
qty_down_white.png
qty_up_white.png

AUTOLITE 306 Resistor Info  
.025 Gap; Resistor Plug; with Cast Iron Cylinder Head

Part image  
$1.19  

AUTOLITE 216 {#216DP} Non-Resistor Info One of our most popular parts
.025 Gap; Non-Resistor Plug; OE Style; with Aluminum Head

Part image  
$1.22  

ACDELCO R45 {#19307612, 19354428} Professional; Conventional (Rebate/Promotion Available!)  Sale! Info  
Gap .025; With cast iron heads

<
Part image
>
$1.42  

MOTORCRAFT SP480 {#A7C} Copper; Non-Resistor Info
OE Style; with Cast Iron Cylinder Head; .025"/0.6mm; Non-Resistor Plug; Copper

<
Part image
>
$1.42  

CHAMPION 511 {#J11C} Copper Plus Info  
with Stock Cast Iron Heads, Non-Resistor Type; Gap .025"

Part image  
$1.52  

ACDELCO C45L {#01559452, 19310645, 19422133} Professional; Conventional Info  
Gap .025; With aluminum heads

<
Part image
>
$1.53  

CHAMPION 592 {#RJ12C} Copper Plus Info  
with Stock Cast Iron Heads, Resistor Type; Gap .025"

Part image  
$1.75  

CHAMPION 854 {#RH10C} Copper Plus Info  
Aluminum Heads; Gap .025"

Part image  
$1.93  
Platinum (lasts up to 2x longer than copper) collapse

ACDELCO 7 {#19238458, 19360569, 25171346} Professional; Rapidfire (Rebate/Promotion Available!)  Sale! Info  
with Stock Cast Iron Heads; Gap .025"

<
Part image
>
$2.92  
Double Platinum (lasts up to 3x longer than copper) collapse

ACDELCO 41833 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Professional; Double Platinum (Rebate/Promotion Available!)  Sale! Info   One of our most popular parts
with Stock Cast Iron Heads; Gap .025"

<
Part image

I run a set of A.C. Delco C-49's in my '31 Imperial 8, and my '40 Buick 8.

They are a commercial, copper cored plug, with a little bit "hotter" spec than the 45's or '46's.

Still made in quantity today they are spec'd for a lot of stationary generators.

Both cars have 'unmolested" (never torn down) engines, and we don't do a lot of high speed cruz'in .

Mostly under 55 on state highways and around town, so we don't get a chance to "blow them out".

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1