Need help with '24 Bolt identification

29StudiePrez

Could someone with a Parts Book that covers the 1924 Six Model 51 see if the parts book lists the size of the bolts and length for the 3 bolts that hold the base of the starter generator to the side of the engine block? I believe these are course thread? I'm guessing they are 3/8 bolts maybe 1 3/4" - 2"  long but not sure how long each one is supposed to be? I'm missing mine and I dont want to guess at it and use the wrong length. And if anyone just has any extra of all three original ones they dont need anymore from a parts car let me know. I'd rather have the original ones.

Thanks in advance

20200419_170805.jpg

Edited by 29StudiePrez (see edit history)

Shawn, 

Your car should have two generator cap screw cones 157238.  It should also have three 7/16-14 x 1 -1/2" bolts and three 7/16 lock washers.  The locating cones go in the 2 top holes.   Dimenstions are shown below in case you can't find them, they can be made easily on a lathe.  These are steel.      Hugh  

1231898697_StarterGeneratorMountingBushing.thumb.jpg.8cff3dcc4a2f1b4c48affdbdd6630316.jpg

248096686_StarterGeneratorpartdimensions.thumb.JPG.64b601cffb762e6d7dfc82035d867b9c.JPG

• Like 1

This is interesting.  The early Light Sixes (as in my '16 D-45) did not have these locating collars.  I had heard about these things before I tore the engine completely down.  Also, they are not listed in the 1916 Illustrated Parts Catalog.  The car that I have has/had a very high degree of originality and this area of the engine had never been touched.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Shawn,   

That would be good if you could get 2.  The are conical not rounded.  I do not know where that cone shaped part came from that you have.  The joys of finding all the extra unknown parts.  I also received a lot of extra stuff with my car.   Thats' why you have a spare 1924 6 cylinder carbutetor that I used to own.  No telling how many years it sat in the parts buckets with my 1925 Standard.  It takes a while to weed thru.   

I also find all of the numerous specialty parts that come off to be a real challenge - The ones that are missing on many of these cars - 

hood pivots.

Oldham couplings (connecting to the starter generator).

These conical bushings. 

I have some rings on my water pump shaft that just loosely spin on the shaft and flick oil.  I only wonder how many cars were reassembled without these rings.   

There must have been a change in the thought process of disassembling parts over time.  Major assemblies don't seem to have little pieces that get lost anymore.  That is progress.

Hugh

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, 29StudiePrez said:

So I checked on the Napa site and they are $2.99 each and there is a minimum order of 25 before they will sell you any. I'll drive into town tomorrow and see if they have any in stock or if some how I can just get two across the counter

Shawn,   Apparently there are more sizes of these.  There are 4 different 7/16 sizes.  The Napa one is M891 or M892.  I think the one you want is the M893.   I even found some on Ebay just using a part number search.

https://vanhorntruckparts.com/drive-flange-wedge-e-5957-m-2528.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjws_r0BRCwARIsAMxfDRi6QBdTBZ0bYwCg3yrkXr0d_5ZIva_FN4JqTRMlM0Nw6fbbtGtVGOIaAvV6EALw_wcB

https://www.ebay.com/i/192898663281?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=192898663281&targetid=885639120148&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9027834&poi=&campaignid=9343999179&mkgroupid=103102860388&rlsatarget=pla-885639120148&abcId=1139336&merchantid=8003064&gclid=Cj0KCQjws_r0BRCwARIsAMxfDRgrCpdFLbRXhR-cpjrUJNSVynCbOS300brYkVikrEoUyWeg2b3WaWEaAluREALw_wcB

507323136_StarterGeneratormountwedge-M-893.thumb.JPG.87004bb09795ba38da49f58552945582.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks all.... I told Shawn several days ago that I would make them for him on my lathe. (Spent a good hour doing it). Since I just removed the S/G on my Standard and had them in hand to copy. DONE. I have a box of parts to go to him and thought I would do this for him. But now if he does not need them I will have a spare set.

• Thanks 1

These wedges are common to almost all heavy trucks. If I recall the 18500 Eatons from the 1960s-1980s used this 7/16" wedge. Most newer axles went to 5/8" stud. Almost any older, well established heavy truck parts store should have these on hand. All that it needs to do is center the mounting bracket in relation to the bolt.

59 minutes ago, dibarlaw said:

Thanks all.... I told Shawn several days ago that I would make them for him on my lathe. (Spent a good hour doing it). Since I just removed the S/G on my Standard and had them in hand to copy. DONE. I have a box of parts to go to him and thought I would do this for him. But now if he does not need them I will have a spare set.

No Larry!! ...lol 

I'll take the ones you made ... I know what you've done will be spot on identical plus I only need two not 25 ...lol, which is the minimum order to buy any of these, However the discover and above information is good to know for others who later down the road may have the same issue and read this on the forum site.