upholstery

broker-len

If your upholstery is original , I doubt that you'll find anything to exactly match. Restoration Specialties has several colors and patterns of original  antique coachlace (piping) that may match better. You will have to send them a sample for matching. I found something very close to my original '36 Dodge material but you will have to make some consessions. Best to find a sample that is hidden, like on a seat back, that isn't so dirty or faded. They also have some other colors if your interior is replaced. Good hunting!

Some cars did use a "wire-on" welting to finish the seams on the seat sides. It was a little thinner than the material available today. Restoration Specialties has several colors in an "antique" style material that may suit, but there again , matching older colors and patterns may be near impossible. There are others like Hirsh and SMS but there selections are rather limited too.Hope you can find something. I wanted to mention, I think RS has some wire-on and windlacing in an undyed state. It could be possible to dye it to match. The wire-on has a small wire running through it so wet dying might cause some rusting issue but I am not sure. I think they would sell you some undyed. Doesn't hurt to ask for samples.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

Piping that is cloth/vinyl/leather wrapped around a plastic rod is usually just made by the upholsterer. Fold material around rod, run through sewing machine.

Am I missing something here?🤔

Antique style coachlace (piping) is like a small windlacing. The older material usually has a twisted paper core that forms the "pipe". It is used to trim seats and door panels, usually between sections of fabric. Sometimes, when the lacing was used under buttons, the cord was removed and it was installed flat. 

I think what I need is called --WIRE ON ---- is on front seat of both my cars--tacks down then the two side come together hiding the tacks---got it from labaron bonney         there is 2 ft piece that is damaged   not sure who has it---going to send a sample to some suppliers    thanks for your input