new owner 1922 special six; dumb questions

hi all,

I have just gotten a 1922 special six touring that I have to bring back from a neglected state. It was a good driver and the owner used it alot for tours but its been sitting since he died and will need some work. The interior is lousy and the top is lousy but its all there. It has an overdrive and I want to drive it. 

Where can i get tune up parts for it? 

I also need to rebuild the water pump - any suggestions?

What spare parts do I need and can any one help me get them? I understand I should carry a drive shaft rubber disc and a generator coupling. are these avaliable anywhere? What are the weak points of these cars?  

Thanks,

Linus

• Like 1

Linus,

A few folk make it their speciality to collect/restore/rebuild/remanufacture  old stuff eg carburettors , speedos

ignition switches, wooden spoke wheels, sheet metal etc some will even recast rare parts. There are swap meets, electronic buy/sell sites, car clubs and forums such as this one.

After collecting parts over 20 years two things 1. 100 year old NOS Parts get harder to find and 2. They don't get any cheaper.

Bolts, screws, bushings, bearings, brake linings, etc modern material can be adapted and work well / better than the originals in some cases.

Good luck on the hunt !

First thing, join the antique Studebaker club, a wealth of knowledge in those clubs and other owners have “been there, done that”

At one time the service and parts manuals were both reprinted, try to find copies of both books as they are very helpful. I sold my 24 Special Six in 2000, and all that stuff went with the car, but you should look for them if you can find them.

Hi Linus,

First of all, there are no dumb questions, just unasked ones so, ask away.

The Special Six did not come with driveshaft disc couplings (those are Light Six parts), only the disc between the trans and engine, which aren't prone to fail except from extreme aging as they hardly flex.  Marv Ribbich (mribbich@wi.rr.com on this forum or 1-262-292-2989) has those or you can just buy the material from Restoration Supply and make your own.  If you have a  driveshaft with flex joints, it would have to be a modification due to the overdrive unit.  If so, Marv may be able to help out given some dimensions.  

There isn't much to the water pump - shaft, impeller, packing, packing nut, pump cover and gasket.  Sometimes it just takes a new piece of packing but if the shaft is all scored up, you may need a new one made. A friend has a much older 1914 Studebaker and his impeller was trashed so he used one of the rubber ones out of an outboard motor and it works great - sometimes new solutions for old problems.

This is the book you'll want but it's currently out of stock at Faxon - http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1918-1924-Studebaker-Big-Six-Special-6-Repair-Shop-Manual-Reprint-P9551.aspx

There are a number of classifieds in the back of the Antique Studebaker Review, which you'll get with your membership to the Antique Studebaker Club.

Scott

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Stude Light said:

Hi Linus,

First of all, there are no dumb questions, just unasked ones so, ask away.

YUP!

Any one of use can give dumb answers, but no question is ever dumb if an answer can be found.