30-U front floor boards

Soupiov

Does anyone have pictures of original front floor boards?  The ones in my '30 coupe are poor plywood replacements and it's time to get them right but I can't find any information about what the correct ones look like.  Thanks.

do you have a early or late 1930-------I have a 32 PA ,,your car should be similar  ,,,  there is a steel floor piece over gear box but the right and left sections are make of wood from the factory  as well as kick panel .....   since the battery is under the floor on left there is a finger hole to take it out the right is screwed in

PLYMOUTH pa.JPG

Edited by broker-len (see edit history)

Mine is a early 30-U but it is the all steel version.  There is a large one piece board over the battery with a cut out for access  to the battery and another piece under the cowl where the pedals and steering column come through. 

Thanks for the picture     since yours is a coup it is different than the sedan     more steel  on sedan  the only thing that is wood on my car is the kick panel and pieces either side of the trans cover  and the roof pieces---could you send pictures of what ever wood floor pieces you do have   --maybe I will be able to tell if they are original

Edited by broker-len (see edit history)

I know the ones I have are not even close to original as I replaced the original ones with plywood back in 1970 after I put my foot through the original ones.    Back then It was my daily driver and I just threw scraps together  to get back on the road.  Now, fifty years later, I cannot recall what the originals looked like but I want to get it right now that I am doing a total restoration. 

Wow, I wonder if the 30-U is actually like the PA?  There is no evidence of a raised metal piece ever having been set over the transmission on my car.  Does anyone have a picture of a 30-U coupe with the floorboards in place to confirm that it is set up the same way as the PA?  I know the floorboards in the car when I got it in 1962 were flush without a hump in the middle but I suppose it is possible that there once was a metal panel there that was discarded before I got it.

The floor opening looks like the same as a PA but I did find a picture in the master parts book.  (Sorry so dark I am not able to copy) -- but the floor looks very flat and I do not see a hump in the middle.   I wonder if changes got done for the floating power mount system on the PA's--Just a thought -- Allan 

I have a 30-U Roadster built in early 1931.  It has a one-piece floorboard with the battery access cutout piece in it.  There is no metal piece over the trans.  Not sure if the roadster is different than other body styles.

Thanks for all the help.  I am almost positive that the floorboards for the roadster were the same as the coupe .  Could you post pictures of the battery access cut out on your roadster?  Also, could you let me know if the kick panel rests on the main floorboard or does the main floorboard butt against the kick panel?  I think I am finally on the right track here and just want to get it right.

Hello, here are some photos of the battery access cutout and the hole where the cutout goes.  As far as I know, all the wooden pieces are original.  Please also note the small spring attached to the cutout piece, which holds it in place and prevents rattling.  You can also see how the floorboard butts up to the kick panel.  If you have further questions, please let me know.

100_6576.JPG

100_6579.JPG

• Like 1

Glad I could help.  If you're not there already, try this group: http://www.1948plymouth.info/28Q29U/

This portion of this forum is for 28-32 4cyl Plymouths.  Some really knowledgeable folks there and a great source for tech, parts, etc.  You have to register, but you should get in quickly.

Chris

this is my Not to Scale drawing . I book matched down to show bottom sticks . Finding wide board will be challenge , I use three know . The pic of door has some leather to take up decades of shrinkage . You can see build up on bottom from trans . Plus all screws are flat head straight blade un-plated . I noted studs in corners for holding matting in place . 1149924972_floordrawg.thumb.jpg.90fe886fd7ec92b36d9dc15d63a694e2.jpg20200419_142346.thumb.jpg.366ce3860aa181f17069ea3a237b1194.jpg20200419_143134.thumb.jpg.41b5828202d12351a6bf1d7dd8f52908.jpg20200419_173720.thumb.jpg.bd154857a613da822407a02ebbd87ee4.jpg

We have a mostly-original, right hand drive, Canadian-built 1929 Plymouth. I took these photos just a few minutes ago.

The first two photos show the original floorboard from top and bottom. The fact that the access hole for the battery is so small was always a problem so we made another one which allows the battery to be removed without taking the whole front floor out.

Two photos taken inside the car with the carpet - just a piece of house carpet in the meantime - rolled out of the way. The spotting on the underside of the flap is just from the last wet, muddy roads it was driven on.

The shot of the car date from 2018. Original black paint on the fenders. The body was repainted in 1955. The car just turned over 80,000 miles. The engine is down on power and due for a  freshen up.

IMG_0430 a.JPG

IMG_0435 a.JPG

IMG_0434 a.JPG

IMG_0433 a.JPG

ours 1018.jpg

Great car!  Very similar to my early 30-U.  The engine in my car is now in the process of a rebuild but  the odometer stopped working years ago at a bit over 93,000 miles.   A wrist pin knock forced me to take it off the road.  Now,  after years of storage,  I am finally doing a total restoration.  The paint on my car was original and in reasonable shape as the car was always garaged.  I don't know what these cars were painted with but it is tough to remove!