Mustang, Sorta

Some folks are willing to put silly amounts of money into cars with the assumption that the world agrees with their taste and is willing to refund the money they threw at the project. Here's another, although it seems there are at least two people who do agree the money wasn't totally wasted: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-ford-bronco-icon/

Want me to hate your car, no matter what it is? Describe it the way this car is described. "Stang" and "vert" are by far my least favorite abbreviated words for anything in the hobby. You want to sound like an idiot jughead? That's a great way to do it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Doesn't it feel like cars like this have no soul? Like an Auburn Replica that wasn't done to look and behave like the original.  I've seen a few recreations of such that pretty much nailed the original feel of an Auburn and were also done for years so they seem to have acquired a little in the interim. 

47 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Doesn't it feel like cars like this have no soul? Like an Auburn Replica that wasn't done to look and behave like the original.  I've seen a few recreations of such that pretty much nailed the original feel of an Auburn and were also done for years so they seem to have acquired a little in the interim. 

That's a good way to put it. I never get tired of driving the cars I truly love. But so many guys build rods and customs and they get bored very quickly. They always talk about how much it cost to build and the long list of parts and the results are often quite amazing, but they are... soulless. They don't feel quite right, they always feel fragile, and even if they have 900 horsepower, they're not especially exciting to drive unless you're doing something that will probably hurt it (and God knows we can't have that). The guys who own them are either afraid to drive them or unhappy with the way they drive--they never measure up to the daydreams and hopes that go into the build. That's why there are so many very low mile custom builds for sale all the time. 

It's like they talk themselves into the need to "update" a car in order to make it "usable in today's world" and end up with a car they don't want to use at all. The cognitive dissonance makes my brain buzz, but it's a VERY common position throughout the hobby. So many high-end shops turning out really amazing work, and nobody loves them. Meanwhile, there are plenty of people madly in love with their humble bone-stock Model As and 1953 Ford flatheads. 

Hmmmm...

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I let the 70 year old owner of the company I work for drive my survivor 53 Plymouth last week. His normal driver is some top end Mercedes touring autobahn rocketship edition something or the other.  Enjoyed it so much he is now looking for one. Smile ear to ear.  Said it brought back many forgotten memories growing up. Can't honestly say you hear that much with chopped up and rodded old cars.

• Like 3