Unobtanium Obtained! NOS 68-69 Buick (All Models) Passenger Door Mirror

NC1968Riviera

Did I get lucky on Ebay the other day! I spotted a new listing for a NOS Buick 68-69 All Models Passenger door mirror kit!

The mirror is dated 9JC8 (September 1968).

Originally I bought it to resell but then I reconsidered because I am always wishing I had a passenger door mirror on The Aqua Zephyr!

The kit has the mirror assy, the mirror pad and two sheet metal screws, PLUS the instruction sheet AND the door template sheet! It is missing the mounting bracket and mirror to bracket screw.

I bought the CARS RH mirror mounting kit. Hopefully it will fit as it should.

I know there's been a lot of discussion about mounting RD door mirrors on cars that didn't originally come with one. The concern is whether or not there is enough support for the mirror if you just screw it down to the door. My belief is, no, there won't be enough bracing for the mirror if it is only attached to the door with just the two sheet metal screws.

I am going to pull the door panel off of the door and look in the are where the mirror mounts to see if there is any pre-installed brace tack welded to the inside of the door skin. If no, my idea is to buy another mirror mounting kit from CARS, then use narrow nuts and bolts running through the outer mount, the pad, then the inner mount and secured with nuts and washers on the inside of the door. When the mirror is mounted, Bob's your Uncle! Who will know the difference how it's mounted and it should be pretty secure from minor bumps or mishaps.

I'll post some pictures when I install the kit later this year.

For now, enjoy the pictures of the parts in this kit! (for you wise-guys, no the flashlight is NOT part of the kit 😃)

The kit box Gr. 10.185 GM/Buick Part number 98142420200410_154703.thumb.jpg.1d390f5549905806fa9a00e27f8368d5.jpg

20200410_154709.thumb.jpg.2f72331bb8f7f0444e0ef7085dacfd48.jpg

20200410_154728.thumb.jpg.0374cfc89467dcd21712bbb220c46a46.jpg

20200410_154714.thumb.jpg.a156da41561755c299cb91155c55f938.jpg

20200410_154719.thumb.jpg.f247ecc9b2cef1fec220751ef3b75c56.jpg

20200410_154722.thumb.jpg.9de28867bf4da8535eea183ca86bf993.jpg

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Now that is the cat's meow finding that baby. Place the mirror on your car where you want to mount the mirror. Especially, mount the mirror on the right side if it helps with safe driving. I'm no fabricator, but I fabricate to make things work. Some are not pretty, but no one sees it or I don't care if they see the fix or not. I'm almost certain they would be a universal backing who-ha to shore up the two screws holding the mirror in position. Now, if yhou are in keeping with 100% original methods and hardware for support of the mirror I'm no help.( In the case you are puzzled how to support the mirror let me know. I'll come up with something that would require a D9 to pull the mirror off the door.)

Turbinator

• Like 2

I know nothing of this particular kit, but...  Before you drill any holes in the door skin, plop your butt in the driver's seat and make sure that the mirror is in a usable location.  Too many people position the passenger mirror the same place as the driver's mirror only to find that they can't use it.

Even though you have the instruction sheet, remember: trust but verify. ;) 

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KongaMan said:

I know nothing of this particular kit, but...  Before you drill any holes in the door skin, plop your butt in the driver's seat and make sure that the mirror is in a usable location.  Too many people position the passenger mirror the same place as the driver's mirror only to find that they can't use it.

Even though you have the instruction sheet, remember: trust but verify. ;) 

I've definitely been thinking the same thing. 

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, NC1968Riviera said:

Did I get luck on Ebay the other day! I spotted a new listing for a NOS Buick 68-69 All Models Passenger door mirror kit!

20200410_154709.thumb.jpg.2f72331bb8f7f0444e0ef7085dacfd48.jpg

eBay can still come through—congratulations!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NC1968Riviera said:

I've definitely been thinking the same thing. 

Thanks! 

I noticed on the template there is a guide for drilling holes.  Tape that to your door then have someone hold the mirror on the template to see how it fits. If you don't like it, move the mirror to where yo do like then have the outside person mark the template.

I have the shell for a right hand mirror for my 64 but there's no glass in it. I'm working on finding a convex glass so I can have an "objects are closer than they appear" mirror.  Kind of like knowing whatscin that blind spot to the right of the sail panel.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RivNut said:

I'm working on finding a convex glass so I can have an "objects are closer than they appear" mirror. 

That seems like something a 'real' glass shop could handle for you.  Worst-case, buy the replacement mirror glass for a suitable late-model truck and have the glass shop cut/grind the glass to fit the housing?

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1