1949 Buick Super power steering

Selim

Buick never had power steering in 1949. Any conversion would have to be a custom installation.

May I make an alternative suggestion? Have a good mechanic go over the front end, replace any worn parts, fill the shocks with hydraulic jack oil and get a front end alignment. Have the wheels checked for straightness and balanced.  If the tires are radials change to bias ply, or at least pump them up to 32 PSI.  While you are at it check rear suspension for wear, fill up the shocks and balance the rear tires. I know people who have done this and it took away all desire for power steering. They were sold as a luxury car and were easy to handle and easy to steer when new but many years of wear and tear take a toll.

This is much cheaper and easier than power steering, and let's face it, needs to be done anyway unless you want to chop off the whole frame and weld on a complete new front end. It will give you 90% of what power steering will. As long as you are moving, even very slowly, it will be easy to steer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Just read your post. I put power steering in my 1947 Chev. It's quite an engineering job and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have considerable fabricating abilities. and the car dismantled. First you have to find a box that turns the correct way. I think the Buick would be same as the chev which means you can use an ordinary Saginaw. So it's a wrecking yard search to find one. Then you have to build whatever adapter plate to mount the box I think there are 3 mounting lug variations. then modify the column. because you can't mount it to the new box like the original. this can be quite a finicky business. The fabric universal allow end play in the shaft and causes horn problems.  I found a generator from a 57 with power steering that has the pump mounted on the rear of the gen. Saves engineering the pump mounts and drive. I did it because the chevy is a driver and is my wife's, and she wanted it. It is nice, I will admit. 
  • The other option is to use the live arm system and a ram from a Ford Granada or something. Not as neat but easier to adapt. Still not easy.   Thats my $.02
  • I edited this post as I originally said you needed a backwards box. (wrong).
Edited by Oldtech (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2020 at 5:52 AM, Selim said:

wanna upgrade a buick super 1949 to power steering. any idea how and from where to buy the stuff required to do so?

thanks

20160507_102558.thumb.jpg.84876a1e7158183da04c3147148eaef6.jpg20160507_102627_001.thumb.jpg.b976e9e5f332af3272a0c3f6e4bc6b2e.jpgThese are pix of the 1952 Super factory power steering that I helped my friend install on his 1950 Super convrt. It was a complete bolt on install. These steering sectors that bolt to the frame are identical from 1952(1st year) thru 1955 xcept for length of shaft the steering wheel bolts to, which can be changed with a qualified  welder doing the weld. Chances are very good the sector would bolt to your frame as there was a 1941 Roadmaster in a former Issue of the Buick Bugle that did the swap as well! Good luck with your project! Send me a private message if you would like more info!

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

I realize this is an older thread here,but i wanted to chime in and tell y'all what i purchased lest week.A 46 Buick Super 4dr that had been upgraded to power steering and a 1955 Buick Roadmaster 322 V8 Nailhead engine along with a Dynaflow Automatic transmission.They changed out the collumn with the 55 auto selector,steering wheel,and all.It looks sooooo original and the engine looks like it was born there.The only problem i have is lots of PLAY in the the steering gearbox.They used an original 1955 steering gearbox,which is part #8355 on Lares website.The only trouble is,I CANNOT FIND ONE! I should say,welll,there is ONE for sale on ebay for $2700 dollars but i would build my own from scrap wood and left over racecar junk before i paid that price. Anyway,the box mounts right on the collumn and the shaft goes all the way to the steering wheel,one piece shaft.It is super nice i just need to wait until i hear back about rebuilding my unit.

• Like 1

So, now that I read more carefully, I see you have an upgraded Buick Super with 'play' in the steering. Afraid I can't recommend Lares. My friend did and found them unwilling to accept responsibility for rebuilt parts failures. I won't go on and on as I did not personally hear or see stuff, but he did show me the damage on the parts.  Folks talk about how great the work was. Just one man's story. Good luck with your Buick! I'd sure like to see the power steering install.

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

So, now that I read more carefully, I see you have an upgraded Buick Super with 'play' in the steering. Afraid I can't recommend Lares. My friend did and found them unwilling to accept responsibility for rebuilt parts failures. I won't go on and on as I did not personally hear or see stuff, but he did show me the damage on the parts.  Folks talk about how great the work was. Just one man's story. Good luck with your Buick! I'd sure like to see the power steering install.

Thank you, NO i wont send it to Lares either. I called them and we just didn’t click too well on the phone. Thats all i needed. Here’s a pic of my 46 51 series with a 1955 322 and converted to Power steering,12 volt, and a Dynaflow automatic. The colunm was switched out too. It all looks like factory. 

9A4F72FE-53F3-4D71-9814-3D5F96660FF8.png

1EA62646-E18D-4EEA-AEC2-5F866E01FFD4.png

Nice job on that install! Wish I could see how the steering sector box is bolted to the frame. The 55 shop manual has a pretty extensive series of photos & text in the power steering section. Dyna55 is on you tube posting photos and text of tear down and repair with some tips. The steering sector feels like it weighs a friggn' ton when trying to remove! Like to find out your solution when decided. THANX, GregJ

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 12:00 PM, 2carb40 said:

Nice job on that install! Wish I could see how the steering sector box is bolted to the frame. The 55 shop manual has a pretty extensive series of photos & text in the power steering section. Dyna55 is on you tube posting photos and text of tear down and repair with some tips. The steering sector feels like it weighs a friggn' ton when trying to remove! Like to find out your solution when decided. THANX, GregJ

Worked my ass off to get that gearbox pulled! The entire inner fenderwell had to come out but that sure opened it up to lift the whole unit out,including the shaft all the way to the steering wheel nut.The weight of it isn't too bad,just awkard with the column coming out with it.I will post some pics how the frame is boxed to bolt-up the unit to the frame.Four bolts,with factory steel U bolt saddles (they look like Rod Caps) hold it in place exactly how it originally bolted on.They did a really good job!!! 

On 1/16/2023 at 9:52 PM, critterpainter said:

This is a longshot, but since the frame has been modified to fit the 55 box, check out a mid 50's Chevy steering box.   I have heard that it will bolt to a 55ish Buick frame.   IIRC Buick changed the mount location in 54 and this change allows a Chevy box to fit

IT might! If some reason prevents my box being rebuilt,i will for sure check into a mid Chevy box.Thanks for posting that! Pics of the Chevy box bolt pattern looks very close.It uses 3 mounting bolts in a triangular pattern rather than 4,but might still bolt up.That is very tempting because,the box is smaller,and one could get a Belair box that has a quicker ratio.That isn't an option for what i have.