Power Steering Pressure Line 1968

mcmasterson

Hello, new here, been a member of ROA for a few months.   I recently acquired a '68 and have been trying to source a power steering pressure line.  I seem to only find 1969 or anything besides the 1968.  Anybody know if a 69 would fit a 68?

Thanks!

Welcome to the Riviera family! That's a beautiful Riv you have there!

Someone with the info you are looking for will chime in shortly, I am sure.

I found my NOSR PS hoses on Ebay but I haven't used them as my original (I believe) hoses are still in good shape.

When you get a moment, please post some pictures of your car in the 'Post some pics of your Rivieras!!!!!!!!!!' thread.

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)

Thanks for the replies!  Yeah that is what I figured I might have to do.  The 69 looks pretty similar to the one on mine.  As long as the fittings work I could try that route?  

Also found these GM universal lines, wonder if those could work.  The return line was easy to source. 

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-1964-72-GM-Power-Steering-Hose-Kits,7271.html?sku=91032525&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzYO_57LK6AIV-__jBx2DPAeYEAQYASABEgI0GfD_BwE

3 hours ago, mcmasterson said:

Hello, new here, been a member of ROA for a few months.   I recently acquired a '68 and have been trying to source a power steering pressure line.  I seem to only find 1969 or anything besides the 1968.  Anybody know if a 69 would fit a 68?

Thanks!

In checking one of my old Buick master parts catalogs, it shows the hose for 67-68 full size models. the 69-70 hose is showing a different part # which means they are different

Robert Bonto

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 2:17 PM, mcmasterson said:

Thanks!

Just following up here in case somebody else has a need.  I ordered one from ebay that was for a 1969-1970 under part 36-352590.  Got it and looks like an exact fit to what i have.   Have yet to put it in and will report back once I do.  But from what I can tell it should work.  

• Like 1

If there's a difference in a fitting, you may be able to cut-off the flare, swap fittings and re-flare the tube on the new hose.  The other option would be to add adapter fitting(s) if space allows...

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2020 at 9:32 PM, mcmasterson said:

Just following up here in case somebody else has a need.  I ordered one from ebay that was for a 1969-1970 under part 36-352590.  Got it and looks like an exact fit to what i have.   Have yet to put it in and will report back once I do.  But from what I can tell it should work.  

Just a follow up here.  This part number was right length but the fittings were not correct.  Male/female fitting issue.  Ended up having the the rubber hose with a little of the metal end portion of the new line cut off and sleeved it onto the old metal line with original fittings.  No idea why the 68 pressure line is so elusive.  Seems like most other years were available. Either way this method worked and back in business.   So hope this helps others in the future.  I will get a photo of the work soon.  

Quite often similar parts from other years look like they should be interchangeable.

This can be easily checked with reference to a Hollander Parts Manual, or a Buick Interchange Parts Manual.

The slight variations year to year defies logic, and different part numbers usually are  not interchangeable, as we see here.

At least it was a fairly easy fix, and thanks for the follow up !

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)