'21 Chevy roadster pickup

J.H.Boland

I first started this thread back in 2017 in the Chevrolet trucks forum.

A friend told me about an old Chevy truck stored in a shed on a tobacco farm about 30 miles from home. Following his lead,I drove down a narrow back road to the farm described. The owner, the grandson of the original owner, took me into a two car steel garage,half of which he still used. There was a dividing wall of crates,oil drums,boards,etc. between the halves of the garage.The car,he said,is in there. I had to climb over the wall of stuff, almost to the rafters,to look down on the Chevy,which hadn't moved since 1931. It took four years of haggling (I think he was just lonely) but finally in 1972 a deal was reached.

It was pretty exciting to dig open the garage doors and roll it out on its' rims, with the wind blowing 40 years of dust off it's body. We loaded it onto a borrowed trailer and started for home. We didn't get far until I spotted things falling off it ! A closer inspection found that it was packed full of walnut shells, and these were what was tumbling out.

Restoration took seven years, with many miles traveled to swap meets looking for scarce parts.I had to decide whether to restore it back to it's original touring car configuration or restore it as found..Whoever did the conversion was quite meticulous in it's modification,right down to the roadster top.I decided to leave it as a truck. It was completed in 1979.

The first photo is as purchased.The second is of it's first test drive,ca.1977,and as it appears today. The John Deere logo was added a few years ago ,I thought it would be fun to crash a local two cylinder John Deere club meet with a period service truck. It's been welcome at a number of Deere shows since.

Some of you have seen these pictures before. I just rediscovered the test drive photo last night,and thought you might enjoy a retelling of the story.

Jim

1921 Chevrolet 490 as found.jpg

1921 Chevy 490 first run.jpg

1921 Chevrolet Roadster Pickup 001.JPG

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Found a picture of the garage the Chevy was in. Look closely and you can see bullet holes in the side of the garage.Apparently there was a rabbit hutch there and the farmer took a few shots at a dog trying to get them.The bullets went through the back of the Chevy as well.

Slides from carousels 1970's 001.JPG

IMG_1622.JPG

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

54 minutes ago, J.H.Boland said:

Found a picture of the garage the Chevy was in. Look closely and you can see bullet holes in the side of the garage.Apparently there was a rabbit hutch there and the farmer took a few shots at a dog trying to get them.The bullets went through the back of the Chevy as well.

Slides from carousels 1970's 001.JPG

... but didn't wipe out 'da waskally wabbit?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Terry Wiegand said:

One simply cannot go wrong with John Deere Green on anything - even if it's a wheelbarrow.

Terry Wiegand

Way Out in Windy Doo Dah

Right on Terry, but in fact the color is 1958 VW sumatra green. It's just accidentally very close to John Deere's early color formula.

I take exception as to engine color on my 1925 master.

DSCN7354.thumb.JPG.04cba488f52ccef3c1d3c2a988b5d780.JPG

DSCF5661.thumb.JPG.1a2d9815a76bd785415dea074564c869.JPG

1 hour ago, Terry Wiegand said:

One simply cannot go wrong with John Deere Green on anything - even if it's a wheelbarrow.

Terry Wiegand

Way Out in Windy Doo Dah

Can't tell from the photo but the spark plug wires were also green molded rubber insulation. By the time I cleaned everything there was quite a bit more John Deere green on the head, block and crankcase. DSCF7678.thumb.JPG.50ad8e792cfa4768b64e005b649825f9.JPG4

2 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

I have told people for years that there are only three things in this life that are worth a solitary dime - and they are GM, JD, and HD.  Not necessarily in that order though.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

I've never owned a motorcycle (back injury made riding difficult),but I grew up with GM and JD. Dad bought his first JD,a used '39 AR,in 1950. It's still around and restored.I still have his last one,an '86 2550 with only 2500 hours on it. The first photo shows Dad and I with the AR.

Jim and Ed Boland with 1939 AR John Deere.jpg

1986 John Deere 2550 and snow blower 001.JPG