Roof Rail Removal

atomic98

Hope everyone is in good health.  I am having a hell of a time trying to figure how to remove my roof rails and side window base trim on my 1973 Riviera.  Any help is appreciated...I want to use my quarenteen time to finish sanding the car for paint

If I were you, if the roof rail moldings are nice and not dented, I would mask them off and leave them on the car.....

you can do a nice job of painting the car without removing them.  Taking them off without damaging them and reinstalling

without damaging them requires lots of expertise. You do need to remove the side window base trim, and it is done by removing the

interior door panels and loosening the window stops so the windows can go down further than normal to access the screws that hold the

trim on. My 65 Riviera was repainted 45 years ago with the roof rail moldings still on the car and it still looks great, as it did 45 years ago when it was first done.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

X2.I was beginning some paint prep work on my '64 yesterday and looking at my roof rail molding. Repainting the 1980 lacquer job I did. Decided to mask them off.

Some cars will come off with a beer can opener. The Rivieras are not in that class. The blue masking tape is good if you don't have a finish deadline.

Another decision, I was tempted to try TCP Global polyurethane base coat. I can't tell where it was made, crossed it off the list and spending more but using Pennsylvania made PPG. In fact, I may not limit those thoughts too paint. For the future, I think I am going to back off on a lot of cheap stuff.

Bernie

I was able to remove them from my 63 using a paint can opener.  The kind they give away with a gallon of paint at the hardware store.  It has just the right hook on the non beer can opener end to get up behind and pull.  The body manual shows where and how.  They snapped right back on when I got the car home from the paint shop.  

You may have different results with your 73, but I don't think Buick changed that design much over the years.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, atomic98 said:

Hope everyone is in good health.  I am having a hell of a time trying to figure how to remove my roof rails and side window base trim on my 1973 Riviera.  Any help is appreciated...I want to use my quarenteen time to finish sanding the car for paint

Since the replies above cover the first generation, I'll try and answer your question about the '73.

IF the '73 is the same as the '72, and I believe it is, the roof rails are screwed to the roof from underneath, the screws are hidden under the rubber weather-stripping.

And, to remove the trim on the door and the quarter panel, if that is what you are talking about, "side window base trim," you have to remove the interior panels, door and rear quarter, then remove the lower stops for the windows, lower them, then remove the screws that hold the moldings on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, atomic98 said:

Now how  about removal of the hood trim where near the cowling.  Base of the windshield but on the hood.  I cannot see any hardware on that one.

Thank you in advance

Greg

Once again, if the ’73 is the same as the ’72, that trim piece is a press-fit onto the edge of the hood. Here is the ’72 Factory Assembly Manual page that shows it.

1746441612_SHEET11-3.5.thumb.jpg.799dd46d7e0b7084c02d195d0d80a658.jpg

I haven’t gotten mine removed yet, as usual, one of these days, but I looked at it from the back side and there seems to be a couple of “clips” that I can see looking at it from the underside. I was going to try and push at those clip locations, carefully, and see if that gets it to come off.

Like I said, because I have not removed mine yet, this is just a thought, but something you might try.