1932 Buick 68C

Przemek M

Hello,

I would like to introduce myself to this forum. My name is Przemyslaw Moczko and I live in Poland. I recently bought 1932 Buick 68C. The car was bought on auction and the history of the car is unknown to me.

The body is very solid and has only surface rust. As far as I was able to check the wood is also fine, which is very surprising to me considering the age of the car. The car appears to be in its original condition (except electric fuel pump) without prior restoration. No body damages or repairs as well.

There are some parts missing as you can see on photos:

- carburetor and entire heat control system,

- Tilt Ray front lenses ,

- and few more I believe.

If anybody owe and can offer the above and other missing parts I will be happy to buy them.

I would like to know your opinion about this car. Any advice on the originality of the car are welcome.

I am currently working on another project (1990 Daimler Double Six - photo attached), but I will find time to start a new Buick project.

There are other interesting findings that can also be seen in the pictures.

Regards,

Przemek

car-01.jpg

car-02.jpg

car-03.jpg

car-04.jpg

car-05.jpg

car-06.jpg

engine-left-01.jpg

engine-right-01.jpg

engine-right-02.jpg

• Like 2

Hello John,

Thanks for your comments.

My first goal is to find carburetor. In the mean time I will inspect engine, change fluids and when ready start engine hopefully.

Daimler is 1990 model, European version of Jaguar Series 3 Xj12 Vanden Plas.

Regards,

Przemek

• Like 1

Wow - that Buick looks pretty complete.  I agree with the earlier comment to perform a mechanical restoration and try to clean and preserve the car cosmetically.  At that point it can be enjoyed while you plan the next step(s)...

• Like 1

That is an awesome model!  I like the 2 dr Buicks and I think you are very luck to find this model.  Here are some pictures of one that was at the AACA Hershey PA meet this past fall. 

DSC00064.JPG.a00781215edbc42720e067867dcb4b85.JPGDSC00065.JPG.a1a33c7628d7f8a1e650c5f346591c1f.JPG

DSC00066.JPG.04dcc32c264f054944d8fd93bb96e721.JPG

DSC00067.JPG.c4424eb27766383dffb3a07946d96278.JPG

DSC00068.JPG.9fa559ad049e9932c28e1f01bef7f903.JPG

I have no idea if everything on this car is original.  I can see someone added some turn signal lights.  But it may give you a vision for what you've found.  Good luck with your car! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

In the meant time of searching missing parts, I removed fuel pump to rebuild it.

I have two questions:

1. The fuel pump was painted with silver paint as shown in the picture below. The question is, was the fuel pump originally painted, which I doubt?

2. A more general question about bolts and nuts in my Buick. Are they factory zinc plated or not or painted maybe, depending on location?

FUEL_PUMP.thumb.jpg.c79520c0f5ef8446cbbb8104b935860d.jpg

Regards,

• 1 month later...

I'm going to introduce myself - David Brady - and from PA and I have a restored 1932 Buick 68C which has gone on to win AACA Senior Grand National and enjoy driving the car and hope to get to a Buick National with it one of these days when the world gets better. If I can help, let me know......

• Like 3

Hello David,
Very good to hear from you. It would be very nice to see photos of your car. Did you buy it already restored or went through the restoration process?
Pete Phillips posted: "The Buick Club of America knows of two 68-C 1932 Buicks among its 6,000+ members. Yours makes three!". I wonder if your Buick is among these three or it is fourth?
I am at the beginning of my story with the Buick 68C and I'm very pleased with this car. It distracts me from working on my other cars but I can live with it:)
As mentioned in my previous posts I want to sort out the car mechanically at first. I finished fuel pump rebuilding (photo below), cleaned fuel line, removed fuel tank, inspected cylinders and ignition system and turned the engine (there is spark!). The fuel tanks is rusted quite badly and 30% full with fuel sludge. It proves the car was not in use for many, many years. Currently I'm installing new exhaust.

I'm still looking for correct heat transfer system. Thanks to people from this forum I have already found few good parts such as headlight lenses, carburetor etc.

Fuel pump before:

F_PUMP_BEFORE-01.thumb.jpg.cf7f1debdf21a14d8f65eb5f10d076c8.jpg

and after:

F_PUMP_AFTER-02.thumb.jpg.7a6c27b7bd282ece1585c37747b53d05.jpg

Regards
Przemek

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Przemek M said:

Hello David,
Very good to hear from you. It would be very nice to see photos of your car. Did you buy it already restored or went through the restoration process?
Pete Phillips posted: "The Buick Club of America knows of two 68-C 1932 Buicks among its 6,000+ members. Yours makes three!". I wonder if your Buick is among these three or it is fourth?
I am at the beginning of my story with the Buick 68C and I'm very pleased with this car. It distracts me from working on my other cars but I can live with it:)
As mentioned in my previous posts I want to sort out the car mechanically at first. I finished fuel pump rebuilding (photo below), cleaned fuel line, removed fuel tank, inspected cylinders and ignition system and turned the engine (there is spark!). The fuel tanks is rusted quite badly and 30% full with fuel sludge. It proves the car was not in use for many, many years. Currently I'm installing new exhaust.

I'm still looking for correct heat transfer system. Thanks to people from this forum I have already found few good parts such as headlight lenses, carburetor etc.

Fuel pump before:

F_PUMP_BEFORE-01.thumb.jpg.cf7f1debdf21a14d8f65eb5f10d076c8.jpg

and after:

F_PUMP_AFTER-02.thumb.jpg.7a6c27b7bd282ece1585c37747b53d05.jpg

Regards
Przemek

Wow!  That looks fantastic!

Dave Brady here and in answer to your question, "yes, I restored the car myself except for the actual painting, chrome plating and engine rebuild. Did research and put in insert rod bearings and make fan hub assemblies and never have to worry about my fan going through the radiator. I also make water pump packing nuts with a neoprene seal imbedded in it stop leaks. Also updated pistons with 1933 Buick because they are 4 ring pistons. I run Evan Coolant to prevent rust in the cooling system. I will try to find pictures and send some.

• Like 1