2020 Sentimental Tour

Franklin Gage is the Chairman.  I don't know how much help he has, but he's coming along.  He asked Ralph Towner to be Editor of the Sentimental Star while they were in Philadelphia.  Everybody I know says Franklin runs a great tour.  I'm not involved, but if my health is okay, I'll be there.  I expect it to be my last trailer tow, which will be to West Virginia.  I know you left Florida for Tennessee.  Does the colder weather bother you?  You towed your Ford to the last one on an open trailer.....did the car get messed up.  I have thought about it, but the car could get stones from trucks and if it rained the car would be a real mess it seems to me.  My closed trailer has over 100K on it, but new tires and near new 5000 lb axles.  It's hard for me to get the car in and tie it down anymore, but getting up and down to wash a car is hard on my knees.  My Dad was much better off at 81 than I am.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

The Sentimental Tour ends the new day that Charlotte starts.  That means with enough effort I could make it to Charlotte with a car on the way back to Florida from West Virginia.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if the Tour could be moved back a day or two to allow travel to Charlotte in time for the show?  That could make a bad situation a little better. Of course that assumes the President isn't right that the Coronavirus isn't still active all the way to August possibly.  Life is so boring now, with no baseball.  Just think if there is no baseball this  year or clear until August.  There sure isn't anything on TV.  2020 looks like a very bad year doesn't it?

Guest Mark McAlpine

Hello Earl,

As Steve Moskowitz posted in the club's statement this afternoon, the club has not made a decision yet as to when the 2020 Southeastern Spring Nationals are being rescheduled (or even if they are).  It's a bit premature to talk about changing the dates of the Sentimental Tour until the new dates of the SE Spring Nationals are determined (if they're rescheduled, which I believe we all hope happens).  We also don't know yet the impact on our other national activities in the first half of this year's national activities calendar:  the Western Spring Nationals in Show Low, AZ; the Founders Tour in Show Low; the Central Spring Nationals in Auburn, IN; etc, nor when this crisis will be over.  Potentially, there are a lot of moving pieces in play and further changes coming.

The Executive Committee is on top of this (they have been discussing it daily), will make its recommendations to the entire Board, and the decision(s) and information will be provided soon to all members.  Please be patient for a little longer.  As you know, this is a rapidly developing situation with a lot of moving pieces, and there are a lot of authorities making decisions in the best interest of the public that we have to abide by.

Stay healthy!  

15 hours ago, Mark McAlpine said:

Hello Earl,

As Steve Moskowitz posted in the club's statement this afternoon, the club has not made a decision yet as to when the 2020 Southeastern Spring Nationals are being rescheduled (or even if they are).  It's a bit premature to talk about changing the dates of the Sentimental Tour until the new dates of the SE Spring Nationals are determined (if they're rescheduled, which I believe we all hope happens).  We also don't know yet the impact on our other national activities in the first half of this year's national activities calendar:  the Western Spring Nationals in Show Low, AZ; the Founders Tour in Show Low; the Central Spring Nationals in Auburn, IN; etc, nor when this crisis will be over.  Potentially, there are a lot of moving pieces in play and further changes coming.

The Executive Committee is on top of this (they have been discussing it daily), will make its recommendations to the entire Board, and the decision(s) and information will be provided soon to all members.  Please be patient for a little longer.  As you know, this is a rapidly developing situation with a lot of moving pieces, and there are a lot of authorities making decisions in the best interest of the public that we have to abide by.

Stay healthy!  

Well, we already know when the new date is for the Charlotte Meet.  It might be relatively easy for the Sentimental Tour to start a few days early so as to finish in time for participants, who want to, to make it to Charlotte. That is the only point I was making.   For the most part, except for Miami, all of the events are way far from Florida.  As it was, or maybe is, I will never be able to show my recently finished '41 Buick this year.  I think next year will be too late (maybe for me, or maybe for the car).  I'm getting past trailer towing age and expect this Sentimental Tour to be our last one.  We've made them all so far.

To assume that the Corona Virus will be gone by June is probably a stretch of the imagination given that they do not expect a vaccine for 9-12 months.  I do not think they will lift the "Mass Gathering" restrictions until the risk to the over 65 (most of us) and people with health conditions is near zero.although they may modify it, but what do I know!!!  Just imagine the liability of lifting the restrictions if people are still dying of Covid 19.

Edited by Robert G. Smits
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Well, we already know when the new date is for the Charlotte Meet.  It might be relatively easy for the Sentimental Tour to start a few days early so as to finish in time for participants, who want to, to make it to Charlotte. That is the only point I was making.   For the most part, except for Miami, all of the events are way far from Florida.  As it was, or maybe is, I will never be able to show my recently finished '41 Buick this year.  I think next year will be too late (maybe for me, or maybe for the car).  I'm getting past trailer towing age and expect this Sentimental Tour to be our last one.  We've made them all so far.

Do Both !

Drive the tour with you 1941 Buick, clean the car, and then show it at Charlotte.

These events are not all that far apart, and the years work !

This year's Reliability Tour dates were initially set, partially with respect to the dates of the Grand National. Then the Grand National had to be rescheduled, resulting in the final days of the Reliability Tour overlapping the Thursday and Friday of the Grand National. We didn't move the Reliability!

Those of us who choose to drive the Reliability, and also judge at the Grand national have mostly chosen to leave the tour mid-day, instead of attending the closing luncheon so as to continue to Allentown that afternoon. That way we can hopefully get to enjoy some of the Friday activities (maybe the Bulgari Collection?), and still judge and/or show on Saturday.

Sometimes you just have to make a choice, or just leave one early to attend both - but why ask someone as dedicated as Franklin Gage, who has spent inordinate time, effort, and planning, to try and have a huge hassle for your convenience. Maybe just drive your tour in your show car, and then clean it for the show? I drive my show cars, and show my drivers. That's what the club used to be.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, I'd still have to do that even if Franklin could start two days early and finish two days early.  As it is, I'll just take the '39 Buick to the Sentimental and come on back home when it is over or show the '39 as a Senior car.  It has been to almost all of the Sentimental anyway.  The '41 is restored but as of now it has not had a thorough shake down cruise.  Right now we're bound to the house too.  It still has some kind of a gasoline delivery issue, unless there was some water in the lines or in the regular gas at the only station in the county allowed to have non-ethanol.  You don't get mud all over the bottom of a first time out show car going for a first junior by just washing it either.  I show them, and then drive them, not the reverse.

Lets get real folks. How many hotel chains are going to be functioning after 3 months with no guests.  How many oil companies are going to survive $22 a barrel oil.  How many communities are going to be able to provide basic protection functions with reduced sales tax for three months.  How many restaurants are going to survive on a take out menu and how many AACA members are going to be willing to spend $3000 on a week long car tour after seeing their 401K drop to pre Trump levels?  I think you will have a rude awakening.  Hope I am wrong

Earl I am your age with health problems of my own.  I am more worried about being alive in June than any car tour/show.  Latest statistics suggest that you and I share a 14% mortality rate if we test positive and this applies to a significant percentage of AACA members.  STAY SAFE today so you can tour tomorrow!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Lets get real folks. How many hotel chains are going to be functioning after 3 months with no guests.  How many oil companies are going to survive $22 a barrel oil.  How many communities are going to be able to provide basic protection functions with reduced sales tax for three months.  How many restaurants are going to survive on a take out menu and how many AACA members are going to be willing to spend $3000 on a week long car tour after seeing their 401K drop to pre Trump levels?  I think you will have a rude awakening.  Hope I am wrong

Earl I am your age with health problems of my own.  I am more worried about being alive in June than any car tour/show.  Latest statistics suggest that you and I share a 14% mortality rate if we test positive and this applies to a significant percentage of AACA members.  STAY SAFE today so you can tour tomorrow!!!

Yes, the future is very clouded for 2020 and who knows after this?  But, I guess we have to plan as if this will be over in time.  If you are right, well we'll just try and hope for next year, or in the case of the Sentimental Tour it likely would be 2022.  The downturn for 2020 may make 2018 in Mississippi my last tour.  I was lucky to survive 2019, but I keep trying to think I can keep the Grim Reaper away from the door for a number of more years of enjoying my friends, my cars, and my family.  I suggest thinking positive.  My parents and grandparents on both sides all survived 1918.