Goodyear's Illuminated Tires - Anyone Remember These?

zepher

I have been around cars my entire life, well over 50 years, and I had never heard of this little experiment by Goodyear until a friend sent me an article about them.

Seems they were a colossal failure but I guess they caused quite a stir at the beginning.

How many of you guys had heard about these experimental tires?

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-history/heroic-failures/goodyears-illuminated-tires-promised-a-whole-new-frontier-in-car-fashion

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/woman-adjusts-her-stocking-by-the-light-of-the-new-goodyear-news-photo/3137865

16th-october-1961-a-woman-adjusts-her-st

Edited by zepher (see edit history)

I remember reading about them in Popular Mechanics and similar magazines back in the day. This was when 2 ply tires and 13 inch tires were the newest thing. Cost and weight had come down a lot from just 10 or 15 years earlier when 16 inch 4 ply tires with tubes were the norm. It seemed the new plastic one piece tires would be even lighter and cheaper. Too bad they didn't prove practical, can you visualize a 3 tone chrome and tailfinned road rocket with chartreuse neon tires?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I remember reading about them in Popular Mechanics and similar magazines back in the day. This was when 2 ply tires and 13 inch tires were the newest thing. Cost and weight had come down a lot from just 10 or 15 years earlier when 16 inch 4 ply tires with tubes were the norm. It seemed the new plastic one piece tires would be even lighter and cheaper. Too bad they didn't prove practical, can you visualize a 3 tone chrome and tailfinned road rocket with chartreuse neon tires?

I would have thought the illuminated tires would have made a pretty big impact at a Motorama Show.

Those cars were just static displays so there would have been no need to worry about performance.

They were a publicity stunt by Goodyear in 1961 or '62. They came in several colors and (I'm not making this up) was aimed at the female driver. In fact they suggested owning several sets of wheels and different colored tires to match her wardrobe. A famous custom car "The Golden Sahara" had them on and would light them up at car shows. It was only a gimmick, as they figured the cost of a set of tires would cost more than the car!