exhaust manifold paint

valk

EB9035BF-8032-4595-92E6-B838EDB33147.thumb.jpeg.df9557e4effc787688cb8022cabbd6d5.jpeg Rustoleum satin black barbecue grill paint. It’s lasted longer and looks better than any other manifold paint I’ve used. A lot cheaper than the “manifold” paints also. Get it at Lowe’s or Home Depot too.

Should have added that my 31’ Chevy stove bolt 6 is notoriously hard on manifold paints. The barbecue grill paint has been on there a solid year with some decent driving on the car and still looks like new.

Edited by chistech
More info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

That does look great. To be clear,  I'm looking into this goop as an alternative to having to remove the manifold. This stuff just rubs on so I'm wondering if it works and what it looks like.  Also, the right color for my '41 is grey although I think black looks better. My manifold looks pretty bad so just about anything will be an improvement. 

Great looking engine bay - what is the bottle of grenadine in the "still" for? I love the look of copper lines...buickduelcarb.jpg.8afb80550eb2b6aaa14737c9e8763091.jpg

On 1/29/2020 at 10:46 AM, valk said:

That does look great. To be clear,  I'm looking into this goop as an alternative to having to remove the manifold. This stuff just rubs on so I'm wondering if it works and what it looks like.  Also, the right color for my '41 is grey although I think black looks better. My manifold looks pretty bad so just about anything will be an improvement. 

Great looking engine bay - what is the bottle of grenadine in the "still" for? I love the look of copper lines...buickduelcarb.jpg.8afb80550eb2b6aaa14737c9e8763091.jpg

It’s a 1932 Oldsmobile and the 32’ Olds featured a engine cleaning system called a decarbonizer. It used a special Remo fluid that came in the can on top of the jar. At the end of the day, the driver would raise the RPMs of the engine then step on a button inside the cab that allowed the motor to suck in some of the “grenadine” through the copper still plumbing until it stalled. The next morning when the car is started, the fluid supposedly softened the carbon and it would be burned up and exhausted out of the engine. It didn’t really work and was only available in 32’ and half of 33’. In my jar is some power steering fluid!

• Like 1

Very cool - never seen one of those.  I'd tell folks its nitroglycerin. 

I removed my push rod cover to paint it and replace the gasket.  What are you guys using as sealant for the gasket? I have used Permatex for years with mixed results and wonder if there is better stuff out there. 

• Like 1

To answer your original question--I used CALYX Manifold Dressing on the manifolds of my 1956 Thunderbird.  I purchased a container from NPD, in preparation for an AACA Meet.   It works as advertised, if the application instructions are followed.  I have had it on my manifolds since 2015, and they still look great.

DSCN1915.JPG

• Like 2