Distributors - do they ever wear out?

Dan O

I have a rebuilt1950  320 Buick engine I am preparing for installation.  The distributor is in original condition. Should I service it or just leave it alone?  I suppose it's in working order.  Do they ever wear out?  I guess the springs could get old? 

Any advice appreciated.

Of course they wear out.  Anything that moves wears out.

I do not understand why people rebuild an engine and do not overhaul the distributor, starter, generator and carb at the same time.

There is an ignition base plate and an upper advance plate that have a very thin cork gasket sandwiched between. The cork absorbs oil from the lubrication cup on the side of the distributor. If the cork dries from long term storage or the cup doesn't get a few drops of oil when it should it will cause the advance plate to drag.

The symptom will be an easy cold start but grunting hard starts after running. Like stopping for gas and it seems like a low battery or possible overheating. The plate hasn't returned to its initial start position. Sometimes it takes all night.

The rest is all by the manual. The sticky plate gets overlooked often.

18 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

I do not understand why people rebuild an engine and do not overhaul the distributor, starter, generator and carb at the same time.

I have a pretty good idea about a lot of that kind of thing, but I keep it to myself. Consider yourself lucky by not knowing.

Bernie

• Like 1

Also check the vacuum advance to see if it’s working,on my 49 with a similar distributor,someone used too long of screws on the points binding the top plate.1948 on down had problems with the upper plate pivoting on three balls on sides that would wear into the distributor body.but as I mentioned the distributor changed in 49 .