1931 Packard 840 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton

41 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

There should be a body number tag on the rear floorboard that would indicate exactly how this car left the production line.

Want to give odds that its missing........or was never there?🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Four things:

Missing original vehicle number firewall tag; Missing body number tag; NO history prior to 1980s; and first restored during a time when such faking became rampant. If a real car had survived into the 1980s, would I be correct in assuming that any prudent owner (especially one who was spending a LOT of money to restore to show-winning standards) would have made sure that the proof of its authenticity remained with the car?

• Like 3

Just now, West Peterson said:

Four things:

Missing original vehicle number firewall tag; Missing body number tag; NO history prior to 1980s; and first restored during a time when such faking became rampant. If a real car had survived into the 1980s, would I be correct in assuming that any prudent owner (especially one who was spending a LOT of money to restore to show-winning standards) would have made sure that the proof of its authenticity remained with the car?

A 100 percent accurate assessment. Also, looking at sales venues speaks volumes about a cars history.....or lack of one. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

The cowl tag is new, but the body tag is missing.

Stuff like that happens all the time. Roof falls off during restoration, and it gets tossed in the trash by accident. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Stuff like that happens all the time. Roof falls off during restoration, and it gets tossed in the trash by accident. 

Sidenote:  Several times now I have had to screw all the tags someplace in car while restoring as every two seconds they turned up missing or .... - and then had people ask why they were not stored in a drawer or ... 

Interestingly, a few years ago an original body number tag for a multi-million dollar Packard showed up on Ebay. The owner of the car was made aware, so he had someone bid on it for him. The tag sold for $2,000. The buyer then tried to sell it to the owner of the car!!! Last I heard, its still in the hands of the ebay buyer.