'36 Dodge Sedan Robe Cord Question

jpage

Does anyone have a photo of the '36 Dodge sedan robe cord installed or apart. I have all the parts but can't remember how it goes together. Is part of the retainer sleeve exposed because it and the spring is too long to fit the end piece. Thanks for any help!  Jim

Well I learned something today.  I had no idea that's what that we called or what it was for.  Did you get replacement pieces?  Or reassembling the original?  I might be able to get pictures of mine for you if yours is the same as the Plymouth (it's a few hours away from me, but Dad might be able to get a picture).  I'm not sure what condition it's in though, I haven't spent much effort of the back yet.

That doesn't look like mine. Mine has elongated spear type ends with no exposure for the end of the cord. Those ends look like the assist strap holders on my car. Th cord in my car also has a fabric cover that matches the seat trim. Looks to me that your's has been changed.

That's certainly possible.  Dad doesn't remember Grandpa changing it, and neither does Grandpa, but then Grandpa didn't remember a lot these days.  He got the car on the early 60's, so still plenty of unknown history with this car.

Is be interested to see what you have as @keiser31 claims his looked like mine.  Maybe there were different versions available?  I've been wandering how I'll replace that type of stuff when the time comes.  Just another mystery with these cars I guess.

2 hours ago, vette-kid said:

That's certainly possible.  Dad doesn't remember Grandpa changing it, and neither does Grandpa, but then Grandpa didn't remember a lot these days.  He got the car on the early 60's, so still plenty of unknown history with this car.

Is be interested to see what you have as @keiser31 claims his looked like mine.  Maybe there were different versions available?  I've been wandering how I'll replace that type of stuff when the time comes.  Just another mystery with these cars I guess.

3 hours ago, jpage said:

That doesn't look like mine. Mine has elongated spear type ends with no exposure for the end of the cord. Those ends look like the assist strap holders on my car. Th cord in my car also has a fabric cover that matches the seat trim. Looks to me that your's has been changed.

I just got rid of a seat back that had those same brackets shown, too. They matched the pulls by the rear doors.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

According to my parts book, there is only 1 part number for the ends which is 719381 and this is the number on my ends. I was able to look at a seat back and found that there is a hole under each cord end to receive the long spring and keeper. It mounts with 3 screws. Interestingly enough, they only list 2 screws for each end except the 7 passenger sedan. They also list another cord assy. which is a new number and only used on the 4 door touring sedan. There are 2 other change notes up to car no. 4046251. Who knows what they used!!  I'll try to get some pictures up.

• Like 1

That's the one!! My cord has a very different cover though. It's not braided but is smooth with a pattern similar to the welt trim on the seats. They may have had different cords for the different trim materials. That's just the photo I needed! That spring is pretty stiff and it will be a job to compress it that far. I'm going to have to make new keepers as I lost mine. Thanks.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been on the forum since before Christmas.  Lots of life issues going on here with my mother-in-law.

I see some new posts that I need to read thoroughly but wanted to post s pic of the robe rail ends on my early production (Thanksgiving of 1935) four door sedan.  I made a trip to the Dodge Garage to snap this pic  a little earlier today.

Happy New Year to everyone!

IMG_1494.JPG

Edited by Pete in PA (see edit history)