1937 Special Transmission

John

Could this be for a '38?  The reason I ask is that I have had both a '37 and '38 gearbox on my '38 Special.  The '37 was on it originally, for reasons unknown.  When I got a '38 gearbox, and had both of them apart to make up the best from the two, I learned that the '37 and '38 have a different sized clutch spline, and the '37 used a bolt-on retainer that held the clutch gear bearing in place.  This was eliminated on the '38 models (as your third picture seems to show).  The only reason the '37 fit my '38 clutch housing was because someone had modified the '37 gearbox to eliminate this feature. Cut-off bolts were still threaded into the case where the retainer used to be.  Also, my clutch disc was purchased to fit a '37 (spline issue).

Jeff

Jeff, I`m the one that advised John that the trans is a `37, maybe I was having a brain fart. I know the `37 40series has the 10 spline 1 1/4" dia input shaft and `38 was changed to the 10 spline 1 1/8" input shaft. Is it possible that your `37 trans is a `34-`36 40 series trans with the collar removed? Maybe another `37 owner can confirm.

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

3 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Bloo, did the `37 40 series trans originally have a retainer? Jeff states his `37 trans has no retainer and the bolts are cut off.

I didn't know the answer to that (although I thought 37 Specials had a retainer). I just thought in light of Jeffh's post that no bolt holes would point to 38 rather than 37. It looks like 1937-44 has cleared that question up.

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

I didn't know the answer to that (although I thought 37 Specials had a retainer). I just thought in light of Jeffh's post that no bolt holes would point to 38 rather than 37. It looks like 1937-44 has cleared that question up.

That clears up the retainer question on Johns trans., but would have to have a `37 clutch disc, `38 has a 1 1/8" input shaft. I`m only half confused now..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

........... I`m only half confused now..

Well I'm totally confused!

Did the changes as to input shaft diameter and elimination of the bearing retainer take place mid model year?  Or has my tranmission been modified?  Or.......???

40 minutes ago, John said:

Well I'm totally confused!

Did the changes as to input shaft diameter and elimination of the bearing retainer take place mid model year?  Or has my tranmission been modified?  Or.......???

John, by the looks of your trans I would think its never been apart to be modified. Maybe Buick was using the remainder of 1 1/4" shafts and clutch discs in the earlier `38 production before changing to the 1 1/8" shafts.  So your trans must be a `38(no bolt holes for retainer) but would need the matching clutch disc.  `39 went to column shift.