1948 Lincoln V12 distributor

crazycars

Would appreciate any help with procedure to access distributors to file frosted points on long stored 1948 Lincoln Continental.  I have worked on dozens of antique cars but this thing is like something from outer space!  Is there some special method used to get the distributor caps off?  Pictures would be a super help!  Thanks!

Are the 48s similar to an early one I worked on that was driven directly off of the camshaft on the front of the engine.

I know the Fords went to a distributor in 48 or so that looks like what we are more familiar with today.

Anyway, I had a 9N that had a distributor like that and I think I took it off of the tractor to service it.

You probably have to get that cap off to do that and you will probably have to deal with the plug wires being short.. (this is at least twenty years back in the memory banks).

By the way, the tractor wouldn't run at the recommended points gap. Cant say what worked, all I remember is that everyone that had worked on it were using the correct manual and could not make it run.

I either widened or narrowed the gap a few thousandths and it was the miracle of that day.

Hello,  Please note if your distributor drive is like a 8/9 N Ford tractor with the camshaft end driving the distributor the slot and drive dog are offset and must be installed the same way.  If you install it 180 out you can break off the distributor mounting ears if you crank them down.  "Just Saying" Be sure to find out if yours is like this

18 hours ago, DFeeney said:

Hello,  Please note if your distributor drive is like a 8/9 N Ford tractor with the camshaft end driving the distributor the slot and drive dog are offset and must be installed the same way.  If you install it 180 out you can break off the distributor mounting ears if you crank them down.  "Just Saying" Be sure to find out if yours is like this

Correct, only goes on one way.

I successfully removed the distributor using the following technique:  I backed off the four retaining distributor bolts most of the way then rocked the distributor body to move it away from the block.  After applying a little WD-40 to the edges of the caps, I was able to partially remove the covers exposing the caps themselves.  The extra space between the distributor and the block  allowed me more movement to rock the caps and gently lift the edges with a pen knife.  The distributor body was then unbolted and, after disconnecting the wires, lifted out.  As I suspected, the points were frosted over. I'm hoping that a good cleaning and filing without disturbing the settings will allow the car to start.  I will let you know. Thank you all for your comments and advice.

• Like 1

If your goal is only to start the Lincoln, burnishing the points may work. If you want the engine to run good with normal power, send the distributor and coil to Skip Haney in Florida.

The original Lincoln coils do not work very well unless they have been rebuilt. They sometime will start the car and then when the engine warms up, the coil breaks down, the engine has no power and misses.

If you remove more than .001" from the contacts, you will change the ignition timing.