size of 1930 Franklin headlights

sunnybaba

Hi Franklin brothers.. I bought a 1930 Franklin series 145 Delux Sedan once owned by Dick Lamphere, and it has sealed beam headlights installed in the Twilite 11 inch buckets... so I bought Lens, reflectors & outer rings from Mike West.... but they are 12 inches in diameter... and supposed to come from a 1930 series 145... What size were the original 1930 series 145, Franklin headlight buckets supposed to be..? Did Franklin come out with two different sizes of headlights during 1930...?  Depending on the body manufacturer ..?  Any help, understanding this size difference would be helpful....

It's a remote possibility. Franklin actually had three sizes of headlights for Series 14.

If your 145 was a late Series 14 production, it may have had the 12 inch Twilite headlights. When I was selling the repro 12 inch Twilite lenses for the Club I found that there were some late  production Ser. 14 that used the 12 inch head lights and lenses. The Series 14 parts book lists the cutoff car number in section 1600. 

The tail end of Series 14 also used a few other Series 15 parts, which is documented in the parts book and the factory blueprints. 

Paul 

• Like 1

And, the  31 Series 151 Town Sedans and the Series 152, also used the 12 inch Twilites.

But the Series 14 rims and buckets are a bit different than the Series 15 and 16. When viewed from the side, instead of a bullet shape of the 15 & 16, they are more like a cylinder for  about the front half, and more like a cone shape for the  rear half.

paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

As I have now taken the sealed beams out of the buckets...... I see that the space for the reflectors and lens... is 10.5 inches... and with the rim on it is 11 inches.... so this car must be a 1930 series 145 Trans Continental sedan, with the smaller headlights.....  Would anybody out there happen to have lens, rims and/or reflectors for sale, for  the smaller lights...?  😏  

I believe if memory serves me correctly that the 1930 cars although using twilight headlamps also saw the headlamp- rim itself with a flat edge all the way around, not a rounded (curved) from top front edge and the rear edge slightly tapered to match the main body of the head lamp. Best if you find a correct car and photograph what you need to look for.

Perhaps one of the auto museums mentioned (Michigan, NY, Arizona) with collections of Franklins would do you the courtesy of doing that for you since they are "in the business" of preservation? It would not take a lot of effort to take a cell phone photo of these from several angles.