stock metal trim or not?

atomic98

Im doing the body work on my 1973 Buick Riviera.  I am keeping the car stock,  wheels,  interior,  carb,  etc.  There is some body trim that runs the entire length of both sides,  about 3 inches below the top of the front fender.  Its not perfect,  and may look better without.  Does having it or not having it have any bearing on the worth of the car?

thank you in advance.
Greg

Hi Greg  it' s all in the eye of the beholder . Personally, I prefer it as I think  it breaks up color on a very  large car plus it's original for the car . I have seen some modified boattails , however , that look mighty good without it . Do what you like not what someone else might like . Here's a pic of my 72 and 73 with the side trim and I love the look . 

KReed

ROA 14549

PS I had to pay $300'to get a 3 inch piece at the rear for my 72 when the replating/polishing  shop lost it and a guy made me buy the whole quarter panel piece to get the small piece ! BTW , your trim pieces can me made to look like new in the rights hands and some $$$ as they charge by the inch. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You'll want to keep that trim. 71s are the only boattail that did not have it from the factory. I believe it is still available as I see it advertised in the Riview Classifieds. Once its removed you have T-posts exposed the whole way back along car that would need ground off. Not worth it from a cost or aesthetic standpoint IMO

Ken I love that dark blue color on a boattail!

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

I agree you should keep the trim. & (not to seem like the opportunist) I have a nice driver quality '73 rear bumper if you ever need one. Good chrome, no dents, only some minor scratches on the corners. It can be had for a song, however shipping from Orlando could be expensive.    Drew

20 hours ago, atomic98 said:

Thank you all for the input.  Looks like I'll keep it.  I like Ken's Deep Blue 73!  

Thanks - Midnight Blue F-29 code

250 HP ☹️! From  455 CI -  But get it  up to 70 mph ( about 20 seconds 🙄) and it will put you to sleep LOL 

KReed 

ROA 14549

Edited by kreed (see edit history)
  • Like 1

That 250 HP was a new federal mandate a couple of years earlier. HP now measured at the rear wheels rather than at the flywheel as in the past.  Not a whole lot of difference between the 73 engine and the 71/72 (unless you're comparing it to a Stage 1 engine.) Emissions lowered the HP some but not that much. Still not like the 370 HP 1970 - also available in the Skylark.