1928 Essex speedabout?

roysboystoys

auburn seeker,  He is putting oil into the engine.

You may not recall the type of oil can with a goose neck pivoted from the lower side and a trigger  to permit the oil to flow.

The Essex engine has the oil inlet opening on the lower side of the engine block.

The oil container shown is made with a rolled lip on the top to prevent oil spilling when put at extreme angles, needed for some installations of oil.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Hans1 said:

You may not recall the type of oil can with a goose neck pivoted from the lower side and a trigger  to permit the oil to flow.

The Essex engine has the oil inlet opening on the lower side of the engine block.

The oil container shown is made with a rolled lip on the top to prevent oil spilling when put at extreme angles, needed for some installations of oil.

Yep!  I used those in the 50s and early 60s, and have a couple on display in my shop--but don't actually use them.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hans1 said:

It didn't look like galvanize which is what all the ones i have seen of those type of fillers were. I never used one so it was a wild guess especially since I could see the intake manifold and he was in the carb location. 

19 hours ago, Grimy said:

Yep!  I used those in the 50s and early 60s, and have a couple on display in my shop--but don't actually use them.

I was still using one in the 80s, and I remember seeing them on the shelf at NAPA at that time. It held multiple quarts. I worked at another shop in the 90s that had bulk oil, and I have forgotten what we were using. Probably one of those.

A method that had fallen into disuse was a glass jar that held a quart or maybe two. The jar had a cap that was shaped like a funnel.