Trailer Storage Advice needed

Drive it up on some 2x12’s to get the tires off the ground. Jack the front end up as high as possible to help the roof drain as well as possible. Some people put a tight fitting tarp over the top............not sure how effective it is......all roofs are a pain in the axx and leak after a few years, you have to stay on top of them. 

• Like 4

Interesting, just had a trailer tire conversation with a friend today.  My opinion is that I'd rather the tires be on soft earth, the ground will conform somewhat to tire shape.  With tire on a hard surface, a flat spot could develop.

Jacking the front up or down for drainage is a good point.....

• Like 1

Leaving a trailer on the dirt for the winter they will often sink in quite a bit. They can be hard to pull out even empty. That’s from experience and needing four wheel drive to pull them out on a flat yard. Also keeps the tires from rotting as fast. Radial tires won’t get flat spots.

• Like 1

I have a stone area on the side of my house where I park my trailer. I park the trailer tires on 2x12s year round on top of the stone and have done so for 12+ years.  No flat spots on the tires in all that time.

My trailer's roof is rounded. Just a couple of years after I bought my trailer I applied white Elastomeric  Paint on the roof  which reflects the sunlight and decreased the temperature inside by 30-40 degrees. The other great thing about this paint is that it seals the roof and it flexes as the roof flexes. 14+ years and no roof leaks.

I also use 6"x6" pressure treated lumber stacked 3 high (4-5 feet long) under the tongue area year round. This takes the load off of the tongue jack and pitches the trailer towards the rear to aid the drainage of the roof.

I also make sure to remove all the leaves under and around the trailer before the snow comes.

A 2-3' tall pile of wet leaves under/around the trailer all winter long is a huge NO-NO for a host of reasons.

Most likely you already have tire covers. If not, get yourself a set and use them year round.

Before winter I check the pressure in all the tires and make sure they are inflated properly. 

I installed an electric tongue jack this past spring. Since I did that, I put a 5 gallon bucket over top of the tongue jack and secure it with a bungee cord. Every fall I remove the deep cycle marine battery I use in my trailer for the winch, lights etc, bring it in the house and put it on a Battery Tender.

Edited by charlier (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Pull the tires & put them somewhere else.

Theft deterrent.

As long as you are not storing a vehicle or something else in the trailer that could be affected by temperature and humidity - you should be ok.

In areas that get snow - if you are having a trailer built - get the roof framed on 12” centers for snow load - also get .40 aluminum skin.

Jim

• 3 months later...

For security, park it up against a tree or other immovable object.

Use a tongue lock.

Park something in front of it.

Remove one tire.

Chain it to something.

Pray that someone doesn't want to go through all that trouble to steal it.   :o

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 1