GM part number search

Barney Eaton

Th GM parts Wiki. 

if you type it into google it should come up. 

It is really good for Chevy parts back to the 1930's,  Olds back to the 50's,  with some earlier coverage and I believe some GMC.  Pontiac Buick and Cadillac is a bit more spotty.  It searches GM parts books it has in it's database and gives you the page it's on to look through.  It doesn't actually spit the exact application out but close enough you can find what you need on the page. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

That is a good source to know about but I had a tough time navigating........wish you could skip pages and go to the group you need.

Here is an example of why I ask........the Reatta window mechanism (regulator) appears to be unique to that car,  but the mandate when building the car was it must use 70% existing parts.

So if I could find another GM car that used 20587958 (right) 20587959 (left) window regulator that would be another source to look for in the pick n pull yard.

The problem is when you get newer parts like into the 80's there are a ton of books that cover them in very near year increments on the WIKI so you get a pile of results.  Older numbers are much easier to get the more desired results. Not sure how to make the search any easier other than googling numbers but that yields a pile of results as well.  The reason I got out of parts,  hard to find and what was left was tough to ID.  Half the time no one wanted them,  so I wasted alot of time looking up parts that never sold.  It wasn't uncommon to get stuck on a part and spend over an hour with probably one of the better parts book collections I assembled and still come up with no application. 

In my search, it seems the left & right window regulators are unique to Reatta and to Riviera of the same era.  But, you might try www.car-part.com for additional pick n' pulls across the US. 

Update: please read my comment further below.....

Edited by DShip
Facts correction (see edit history)

The Reatta/Riviera parts book (1986-1992) that I have shows the Riviera used different part numbers.

Part group 10.783

Reatta part no 20587958 (right)  20587959 (left)

Riviera part no 20375834 (right) 20375835 (left)

That is one of my concerns.......what other car shared window regulators with the Reatta.....it just doesn't seem logical that they would use unique parts.

As Reatta parts become harder to find it would be nice to find other GM vehicles that used the same part....

Upon further study involving a Hollander Interchange Book (60th Edition):  You are quite correct, Barney...my mistake.  The Reatta left/right window regulator is unique in itself.  I could find no other GM vehicle that used the same regulator.  The 86-91 Eldorado, 86-93 Riviera, and 86-92 Toronado used a different regulator than Reatta.  They did collectively share their own regulator within the three models. 

I went a little further into the Reatta window regulator issue...interesting result....maybe I'm just adding confusion to the topic???

I checked a number of online parts vendors:

GM Parts Giant, GM Parts Direct, GM Parts Online, and GM Parts Center.  They list part number 12497971 as being a window regulator that fits Reatta, Riviera, and a number of other same era Buicks.  I actually used the "Check If This Part Fits Your Vehicle" in each vendor web site window and they all came back as fitting the Reatta.  

I have a Eldorado/Seville parts book for 1986-1990 and neither use the Reatta part number. 

It might be possible that the Reatta part is a modified version of the parts used on the other cars and given a new part number....notice the Reatta part number is a later (larger) number. 

To me that means the number was issued later than the Riviera part number,  which makes sense since the Riviera part started in 1986 and the Reatta in 1988.

In the product manufacturing that I worked,  a new product was given a block of new part numbers.   All NEW numbers came out of that block of numbers....existing or common parts already had a number and it would be outside

the new block of part numbers.

Remember ONE thing about GM, or other OEM parts . . . you can have two identical mechanisms, BUT if there is any difference in them, as in where a bolt hole is drilled, for example, that generates a complete different part number.  Otherwise, both will install in the exact same place, but that one bolt hole in one makes it "different", which means a different part number.  In this case, IF the Hollander manual indicates their salvage yard industry part number will fit a Riv and Reatta, for example, but to use the Riv part on the Reatta, you drill one mounting hole in a different location, then it'll fit both vehicles.

So, unless you can come up with the GM Engineering blueprints for the regulators, compare them, then you might see how to use one on the other application.

Are the power window motors the same?  What is wearing out on the Reatta regulators?  Might they be rebuilt with GM parts from another application that might use a standard GM part?  Just curious.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467