Board Candidate Questions

Pete Phillips

4 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Terry,

Lance is a fine member of the BCA for many years, a second generation member at that I believe.

Brian, thank you for your kind words.  Yes, my father James was a very early BCA member and originally joined pre-1970 I believe.  At some point, his dues lapsed, and I think when he rejoined they reassigned him a higher BCA number for some reason; lack of record-keeping, I guess. 

I have been riding in, puttering with and polishing old Buicks for literally as long as I can remember.  Perhaps my very earliest memory is a family trip to the beach in his 63 Wildcat convertible.  I remember taking it upon myself as a young lad to hook up the hoses and bleed the convertible top pump and lines in a 1965 Wildcat convertible he was restoring, without his knowledge.  I surprised him with a working power top that afternoon!

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

One recommendation by IT security experts is to not use your real full name as an online username. 🤔

Happens on facebook all the time:  real name and location and then announcing a vacation....

I announce our "Texas Road Warrior" trips each summer and would never use a real name.

• Like 3

I've been a BCA member since the late 90s when I started restoration on my 61 225. My comments are from the perspective of a BCA member who has benefited immensely from the organization but has not been able to participate more fully. I have not been involved in BCA leadership, but I have tried to vote in most elections. I've found the BCA, the Bugle and this forum to be extremely helpful in each of my projects, and in my mind, the Bugle is one of the key strengths of the BCA. I echo the kudos already extend to Pete, Cindy and the Board for the time, effort and energy they invest. At some point, maybe my life obligations will change and I'll be able to get more involved in BCA matters. In the meantime, I encourage us to work with and respect each other, and keep it light and fun, as Mr. Earl has suggested!...just my $.02 for you to take or leave as you see fit... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

Mr. DePouli and the other fellow,

I state this I am made out to be the bad guy here. 

7 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

lancemb,

Without a name, your post has zero credibility to a lot of folks.  Just the way things are.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

I'm not making you out to be the bad guy, I'm saying your wrong about Lance having no credibility simply cause he doesn't put his full name on the forum, I will vouch for his credibility every day and twice on Sunday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ben P. said:

Terry did bring up a constructive and valuable point however - in elections name recognition is everything. That’s the way it is. How many folks filling out their BOD ballots recognized your name and realized they knew and interacted with you here?

My guess would be just about everyone who has been fairly active on this forum would have recognized my name.  Again, my first name ,middle and last initial are in my handle; it's not that hard to figure out.  But if I had chosen to use a more anonymous moniker, it wouldn't be because I have anything to hide.  If ANYBODY wants to PM me to discuss ANYTHING or come to a BCA national meet that I plan to attend and wants to meet and discuss ANYTHING in person, I have no problem with that.

There are way more BCA members than are on this forum, so I don't expect that impact to be huge on any BCA election.  There are also way more BCA members than I'll ever meet, and I think that is universally true; of course, some people know more than others but I doubt anyone knows all 6k+ members in some way or another.  In the end, if people can never vote based on the write up submitted and take a small leap of faith in someone they haven't personally met, then so be it.  I probably could have done a better write-up, too.  But that's okay; I'll help if it is really needed and wanted, but I have no hurt feelings over not being on the BOD.  I have plenty to keep me busy for the next few years, at least!

1 hour ago, mp67riv said:

I've been a BCA member since the late 90s when I started restoration on my 61 225. My comments are from the perspective of a BCA member who has benefited immensely from the organization but has not been able to participate more fully. I have not been involved in BCA leadership, but I have tried to vote in most elections.

I'm not sure the BCA needs more leaders.  Just my opinion, but we need more volunteers.  I am no longer a member of any old car club. I am out of the old car hobby. But before I did not renew my memberships in the BCA and the Cadillac LaSalle Club I thought for moment about retaining my membership and volunteering at the National meets and such.  My thinking was I could live vicariously through other members cars, if they would let me sit in them, ride in them and lean in and ask questions and take a lot of photos. 

I'm no longer a member NOT because of the dysfunction and issues of the past but because I have never been a reader of the Bugle, I threw most of them away almost right away when received, and I just lost interest in owning a collectible car.  But old Buicks and automobiles are still in my blood, I'm 56 tomorrow and had my first of 325 cars when I was 13 years old.   It's not going away easy. 

We always hear that there are not enough judges, not enough meet volunteers, and fewer people taking critical roles in chapters and regions.  Leadership will likely be retained by the folks in command now, and by vote - members are OK with that.  I'm OK with that, life is too short to be like Al. 

So don't think you have to be a leader, be a follower and fill in the cracks where necessary.  I remember when the National Meet came to Ames in 2010 and I called Rick Young and said what do you want me to do?  I was not a member of the Hawkeye Chapter, but I lived 15 minutes away from the show field.  He said "How about manning the wash stand?"    I did, and I did it many times with my then 8 year old daughter and we had a blast.  I met many BCA members "casually" as it should be.  My daughter loved the event, getting a chance to put on the gloves and get her photo taken in the back of the Landau by "Mr. Earl."  She is also seen in many photos of the after tour riding in pre war Buicks.

All that from just volunteering.  No need to lead.

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Fair enough...getting more involved from a volunteer standpoint and attending meets are things i look forward to. I hope to be able to do these things once my work schedule changes - as it stands, work commitments (often involving travel) have conflicted me out of most of the annual and local meets, but God willing, that won't always be my situation.

• Like 1

For those who want to get more involved, and for all of the complainers who don't like the way the BCA is being run for one reason or another, now is your chance to run for the Buick Club Board of Directors. Only six days left to get your write-up (one-page limit) and photo to me for the April issue (Feb. 15 candidate deadline), and we only have two candidates so far. There are three seats to be filled.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Editor, The Buick Bugle

Edited by Pete Phillips
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2