REBUILD OIL PUMP IN 230 OR BUY NEW

Sactownog

I have never rebuilt one, but they don't look that dificult to deal with. mine worked fine with good oil pressure. all I think I would need is a new gasket and clean it then put back together. 

anyone with experience on this please chime in. 

13 hours ago, Sactownog said:

I have never rebuilt one, but they don't look that dificult to deal with. mine worked fine with good oil pressure. all I think I would need is a new gasket and clean it then put back together. 

anyone with experience on this please chime in. 

Well this sounds like the right path to me.  Carefully disassembly taking not of orientation of all parts.  Look for match marks like dots on rotor and out ring -- they can make a difference.  Then a new gasket/sealing ring.  While a brand new pump with tight tolerances may be warranted for a tired engine with poor maintenance and/or very high miles it isn't necessary for "freshening" of a decent engine.  IMO -- which come partly from the seemingly crazy price of $180 for said new pump.

Edited by Pete in PA (see edit history)

12 hours ago, mobileparts said:

Might have one N.O.S. at less than $180.00 (which is probably a Chineseum anyway....)

Always best to simply call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935....

NOW, that would be the way to go.......

ya I hate those China rebuilt parts. must be ALL AMERICAN for my build. 

1 hour ago, Pete in PA said:

Well this sounds like the right path to me.  Carefully disassembly taking not of orientation of all parts.  Look for match marks like dots on rotor and out ring -- they can make a difference.  Then a new gasket/sealing ring.  While a brand new pump with tight tolerances may be warranted for a tired engine with poor maintenance and/or very high miles it isn't necessary for "freshening" of a decent engine.  IMO -- which come partly from the seemingly crazy price of $180 for said new pump.

I am going to start by tearing mine apart and seeing how good/bad it looks. the gears on it seem fine, but the internals may need a look

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Pretty sure you need to pack with grease to get it working after a rebuild.

Yes, very important.

Vaseline works pretty well and will totally dilute into your break in oil..

If you can, make a tool that will turn the pump in the proper direction to prime the whole oiling system. Your instructor will know about this.

You want to slowly turn the crankshaft while pumping. If the engine is in the car watch the pressure gauge, If its not in the car I keep a gauge on a short line with a 1/8 pipe fitting on it in my tool box.

Most engines use 1/8 npt.