1988 Glove Box How to Open

B Jake Moran

I am continuing to part out the black and tan 1988 coupe.  I want the dash, and the glove box.  I left it closed and now need it open.  The only way I see that it can be opened is electrically.  I charged up my battery, and put back in just so I could use the button.  I verified good enough electrical by having interior lights, head lamps popped up, etc.  I press the button and nothing, no open of the glove box.  

How do I get the glove box door open on the 88 parts car?  

55 minutes ago, NCReatta said:

The ignition has to be on in order to open the give box on 88s

I think this was the key in this situation.    I had it in accessory position - I had lights and chimes but no door open.  I turned it further and pressed the button and it opened.  Keep in mind I have been salvaging parts off this car for a year.  I did not want to "start" it and see what happened.  

Got past that, made progress on the instrument side, got the CRT and cassette out. 

2 hours ago, NCReatta said:

The ignition has to be on in order to open the give box on 88s

That's one of the reasons I put an '89 glove box in my '88.  My wife hated fumbling around with turning on the ignition and finding the right button to open the door if I wasn't in the car.   It aggravated me too because a lot of times she would hit the button for the gas door release and I would have to shut it back.  Having a regular manual latch on the glove box is much easier to use and makes more sense to me.  Installing a '89 glove box in an '88 isn't a simple swap but it can be done.

I'm finding these circa 1988 GM electrical connectors to be a pain in the arse.  I tried for 10 minutes to get the electrical connector to the glove box solenoid off and it's just 1 wire!   I ended up cutting it with enough room to put in a small male/female connector.  I work for a lab equipment manufacturer as a field service technician so I see electrical connectors almost daily.  It seems like GM wanted redundancy in design so these connectors would not come loose.  Come loose!  Man o Man.