Two Questions (and 1 opinion) about Mercedes-Benz 500k

AbraoRafa

Hello everyone!
   I have two questions involving the standard Mercedes-Benz 500K ( please ignore the Special Roadster) and I believe you can help me. And I also apologize if I speak ignorance or don't know the specific english term correctly (I am Brazilian and I have difficulty with technical terms).
   First, I would like to know if anyone would be able to contribute any material that shows the factory paints colorchart of this model. I would be immensely grateful if they could help me, as they are already looking everywhere and could not find it.
   The second question is really the main one: can anyone tell me with any certainty if there was a factory version with either a 'retractable' or a removable roof? I know there were Cabriolet A, B and C, but these editions don't retain the rear shape of the standard model, the others have the rear lower, ending with a closer angle. And internet photos of Mercedes Benz 500K convertible versions are in the thousands, but the risk of not being historically accurate is huge, and in this reality is no longer interesting to me.
   If the intent of my curiosity helps them understand my quest: in addition to simply killing my curiosity about this wonderful car I'm in love with, I intend to change some things into a miniature, both to add more personality and to have some things that I like it too (but it doesn't hurt what is correctly historical). The roof, being removable, would not have so many problems if it were not correctly historical, but the colors is already a lot more complicated. So I want to avoid the line of what is historically inaccurate.

Finally, one last question, a question of opinion (whose answer should go entirely to the taste of each): if together we come to the conclusion that there was no factory model with retractable or removable roof and yet i want to do, for a different look or a beautiful photo, which of these two options do you think would work best for this model/automobile marque/era? A rigid roof that comes out completely, or a sort of gear that could be put on and off that would allow the roof to be retractable?

Thanks in advance for your attention and patience.

I assume you are talking about the original W29 and not the replica. In either case while a retractable might be possible, it would require extensive modification of the body to do so. OTOH a removable hardtop should be fairly simple and just require some sort of latching mechanism.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 11:05 PM, padgett said:

I assume you are talking about the original W29 and not the replica. In either case while a retractable might be possible, it would require extensive modification of the body to do so. OTOH a removable hardtop should be fairly simple and just require some sort of latching mechanism.

Thanks for your recommendation!!!

In one of the two Melin volumes,  I forget which one but I'm thinking the first one, he has a couple of pictures of a combination coupe on a 540k Chassis.   There were no retractable hardtops on any 500k/540k that I can think of.

This car is a late one which had a removable hardtop, but as a one off I don't bucket it with the combi coupes.

d622471034a4d112.jpg